What is the current thinking on moving away from Samba?

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Pastcal
Level 2
Level 2

What is the current thinking on moving away from Samba?

Postby Pastcal » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:56 am

With the world awash in what we must these days call malware, I'm thinking that, because I no longer have any Windows systems connected to my LAN, I could switch off Samba and move to an alternative less likely to be a vector.

What's the current thinking on this? An overreaction? A good idea? Thoughts.

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Re: What is the current thinking on moving away from Samba?

Postby catweazel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:36 am

All the pro, enterprise and server versions of Windwoes since 7 have the capability to mount NFS shares and they're very easy to setup. I run Windows Server 2016 on one machine to pull tertiary backups from an NFS share so if I ever need to let another Windwoes machine on my network, it should be ok as long as it isn't of the crippled home versions.
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

Pastcal
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Pastcal » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:54 am

Alright Catweazel, thanks for the input. Are you really in Antarctica? That's, (wait-for-it, wait-for-it), cool!

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Postby altair4 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:07 am

More of an FYI but Samba has become universal.

It's the default file sharing mechanism in macOS since Mavericks. It's actually the default mechanism in Linux since Samba and it's older brother CIFS have components incorporated in the Linux kernel itself. Add to that most if not all network devices have some form of Samba enabled so you might want to move to something else but in general I don't think it's going away.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Other networking topics”