What is the current thinking on moving away from Samba?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pastcal
Level 3
Level 3

What is the current thinking on moving away from Samba?

Post by Pastcal »

With the world awash in what we must these days call malware, I'm thinking that, because I no longer have any Windows systems connected to my LAN, I could switch off Samba and move to an alternative less likely to be a vector.

What's the current thinking on this? An overreaction? A good idea? Thoughts.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What is the current thinking on moving away from Samba?

Post by catweazel »

All the pro, enterprise and server versions of Windwoes since 7 have the capability to mount NFS shares and they're very easy to setup. I run Windows Server 2016 on one machine to pull tertiary backups from an NFS share so if I ever need to let another Windwoes machine on my network, it should be ok as long as it isn't of the crippled home versions.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pastcal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pastcal »

Alright Catweazel, thanks for the input. Are you really in Antarctica? That's, (wait-for-it, wait-for-it), cool!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

More of an FYI but Samba has become universal.

It's the default file sharing mechanism in macOS since Mavericks. It's actually the default mechanism in Linux since Samba and it's older brother CIFS have components incorporated in the Linux kernel itself. Add to that most if not all network devices have some form of Samba enabled so you might want to move to something else but in general I don't think it's going away.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Networking”