Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TomForge
Level 1
Level 1

Samba smb.conf recycle bin example needed for LM 18.2 [Solved]

Postby TomForge » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi All:

I have Samba working great except I can't get the recycle bin to work with Linux Mint 18.2.

I was hoping someone could send me an example smb.conf file that is confirmed to be working?

Also, any information on ownership and permission settings for the recycle bin would be great.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I've tried a half dozen of smb.conf and restarted the smbd service each time. If I have a recycle bin configured -- either NONE of my shares do not show up or my shares show up but I get this error from nemo >> Failed to mount Windows share: No such file or directory." However, each time I have made sure the directory exist!. I've tried changing owner and group and that doesn't seem to work either. I am just baffled. Thanks.
Last edited by TomForge on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Samba smb.conf recycle bin example needed for LM 18.2

Postby altair4 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:32 pm

On my way out but remember Mint doesn't install packages correctly.

Or at least it doesn't install packages the way Ubuntu does in that it doesn't install any dependency tagged as recommends. In this case that means if you installed samba samba-vfs-modules was not included in the install.

So if you added something like this to your share without that dependency ...
vfs objects = recycle
recycle:repository = rubbish
recycle:keeptree = yes
recycle:versions = yes

... all you would get is a non functional share and the "not a file or directory" error when you try to access it.

Try adding the missing package and see if things work:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install samba-vfs-modules
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

TomForge
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Samba smb.conf recycle bin example needed for LM 18.2

Postby TomForge » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:39 pm

altair4 wrote:Try adding the missing package and see if things work:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install samba-vfs-modules

My friend that DID IT! I cannot thank you enough. I fought with this for hours and hours. :( I have tears of joy now! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D I am going to pay this forward and put it up on YT.

Return to “Other networking topics”