Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
iainab99
Level 1
Level 1

Networking OSX/WINDOWS/LINUX Clients [SOLVED]

Postby iainab99 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:31 am

I've just introduced linux mint (17.3) clients to a home network that pre-existed with OSX and Windows clients.

I use TeamViewer on all the clients which serves certain purposes but I am trying to find the best networked solution for sharing files & folders across clients in addition to TeamViewer.

So far:

1. I can access all my windows & linux clients using OSX connect to server functions in the format smb://device_name and configuring the relevant folders for sharing - it works

2. I can access all my osx and linux clients from Windows using the pre-packaged windows share function - it works

3. I can access my windows clients from Linux either finding through "network" or using the "connect to server" menu option and mounting the shares - it works sort of most of the time. The network route doesn't always identify the windows devices tp mount the shares and then if I use "connect to server" I have to re-key the attributes each time because there's no recent or saved servers. Ideas to make that process would be welcome.

4. I can't access OSX clients from Linux at all. I can locate the OSX devices and IP addresses through terminal so it sees them ok. I can remote control OSX terminal sessions with SSH from linux clients which may prove useful in time. However, no amount of suggestions I have searched for in various online resources give me a way of being able to share my OSX files and folders with my linux clients. For sure I can live without the facility but I'd like to seamlessly share files and folders between all types of client. I can see the OSX devices in network but am unable to authenticate with appropriate user names ands passwords as LM just returns a "please verify user details" dialogue. I have similar dialogue returned from the connect to server option. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

For the record all my windows clients are Windows 10 and OSX clients are 10.13 High Sierra.

Look forward to hearing
Last edited by iainab99 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

thx-1138
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Networking OSX/WINDOWS/LINUX Clients

Postby thx-1138 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:58 am

...maybe you'd want to have a look at Nitroshare: https://nitroshare.net

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Postby altair4 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:05 pm

I can't access OSX clients from Linux at all. I can locate the OSX devices and IP addresses through terminal so it sees them ok. I can remote control OSX terminal sessions with SSH from linux clients which may prove useful in time. However, no amount of suggestions I have searched for in various online resources give me a way of being able to share my OSX files and folders with my linux clients.

It's actually a mismatch in samba protocols between macOS and Samba and something that is fixed in later versions of samba but those versions are not available to the version of ubuntu that Mint 17 uses.

I have a share on my macbook ( dmbp ) that I access in Xubuntu 14.04 using cifs instead of smbclient which has the problem using this addition to /etc/fstab:

Code: Select all

//dmbp.local/smbuser /media/DMBP-smbuser cifs username=smbuser,password=smbuserpw,uid=1000,noauto,nounix,user 0 0

It does not mount at boot but mounts when I open the file manager and select the "DMBP-smbuser" icon that sits on the left side panel.
Last edited by altair4 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

iainab99
Level 1
Level 1

Postby iainab99 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks ....I'd looked at Nitroshare through my earlier research and dismissed it although probably in haste. I've looked again and rolled Nitroshare out to all my devices and it does work and does provide a simple conduit to share anything across the network as necessary. It's not 100% what I had in mind but it certainly fills the gap in terms of getting access to by macOS files/folders from linux devices.

iainab99
Level 1
Level 1

Postby iainab99 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Can't get any combo of /etc/fstab/ syntax suggested to work I'm afraid. So currently left with the nitroshare option as the only thing that currently works for me.

I'll consider an upgrade from 17.3 to 18 as perhaps the next step which I guess cures the samba protocols issue. It may give me other issues. I'll give this some further thought.

Thanks

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Postby altair4 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Maybe because you are using mint.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Postby altair4 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:14 pm

Nope. Even works in Mint.

I did this the hard way:
tester@vmint173cin ~ $ sudo mkdir /media/macos
[sudo] password for tester:
tester@vmint173cin ~ $ sudo mount -t cifs //dmbp.local/smbuser /media/macos -o username=smbuser,password=smbuserpw,uid=1000,nounix
tester@vmint173cin ~ $ ls /media/macos
Desktop Documents Downloads Library Movies Music Pictures Public

"smbuser" is an actual user name on the mac and smbuserpw is it's acutal password.

iainab99
Level 1
Level 1

Postby iainab99 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:36 pm

Curious - I follow the script as you've indicated but my install returns an error by not resolving my MacBook address

iain@iain-dellXPSM1210 ~ $ sudo mkdir /media/macos
[sudo] password for iain:
iain@iain-dellXPSM1210 ~ $ sudo mount -t cifs //imbp.local/iainab /media/macos -o username=smbuser,password=smbuserpw,uid=1000,nounix
mount error: could not resolve address for imbp.local: Unknown error

iainab99
Level 1
Level 1

Postby iainab99 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:59 am

OK I got the OSX share accessed via SSH in the end.

So in summary my windows shares are accessed directly from nemo network or through the connect to server function via windows share at the relevant IP addresses. OSX shares may be accessed - for me at least - only through the connect to server function via SSH at the relevant IP addresses. If the OSX devices ever show in nemo network (and they do intermittently) then I can't access or mount a share from here.

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Postby altair4 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:15 am

iainab99 wrote:Curious - I follow the script as you've indicated but my install returns an error by not resolving my MacBook address

iain@iain-dellXPSM1210 ~ $ sudo mkdir /media/macos
[sudo] password for iain:
iain@iain-dellXPSM1210 ~ $ sudo mount -t cifs //imbp.local/iainab /media/macos -o username=smbuser,password=smbuserpw,uid=1000,nounix
mount error: could not resolve address for imbp.local: Unknown error

I am going to go through a typical scenario one finds himself in when working with macOS because it looks like you took me literally.

** I have a MacBook on my network owned by the user Abby Normal.
** It's "Computer Name" = Abby Normal's MacBook Pro
** If I go to my File manager in Linux under Network it will list the mac as: Abby Normal's MacBook Pro because that is the name macOS is broadcasting to the network.

But that is not the macOS "Network Name". The "Network Name" is abby-normals-macbook-pro.local. There are two ways to verify this "Network Name":

[1] On the mac go to System Preferences > Sharing. At the top is the Computer Name. But right under it will be the Local Network Name:
Computers on your local network can access your computer at:
abby-normals-macbook-pro.local

[2] Another way to verify this - on Linux - if you know the ip address of the mac is through avahi. For example:
avahi-resolve -a 192.168.1.152
192.168.1.152 abby-normals-macbook-pro.local

And to make sure I can actually connect to the Mac with that name I can ping it:

ping abby-normals-macbook-pro.local -c3

So if I wanted to access Abby's share directory with a manual mount in Linux:

sudo mount -t cifs //abby-normals-macbook-pro.local/abby /media/macos -o username=abby,password=XXXXX,uid=1000,nounix

Of course all of this assumes Abby shared her folders with SMB which has been the default since Mavericks and not AFP. It also assumes that the avahi-daemon service is running on your Linux box.

Anyhoo, if none of that works for you and since you seem to be happy with the SSH solution I will stop posting.

Return to “Other networking topics”