All Internet Halts, Times Out Only On One Device

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shneorz

All Internet Halts, Times Out Only On One Device

Post by shneorz »

I have a number of devices running on my router, all working flawlessly. The main PC I use is a dual boot Windows XP/Linux Mint Sonya. All has been working normally for many months. Yesterday, suddenly, FF on Sonya started slowing down and timing out. Tried other browsers, same result. Switched to XP, which had been working normally, and the same thing happened. OK, I thought, maybe this was the ethernet port. I switched cables, no difference. So I installed a wifi dongle. Whoopee, everything seemed to work just fine, so I went to sleep happy. This morning, same problem. So it might be hardware, but it may be a virus. I did install something from an untrusted site just before this happened. I'm thinking that this may be loading in the boot sequence. I ran Malwarebytes on the XP side, but it found nothing. I looked for antivirus for Mint, but did not find anything that could be useful. I'm pretty much a novice on Linux.
I'm running 32 bit, although the PC is 64 bit. I have no data on the Linux side, so I could wipe it and hopefully install 64 bit. I'd really appreciate any advice, help, hints, etc. Hopefully, this is a known issue.But if the problem is in the boot sequence, I need to wipe that as well (or modify grub???). This communication is from a different device.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shneorz

Re: All Internet Halts, Times Out Only On One Device

Post by shneorz »

OK, turns out this is the ethernet port, as wifi works perfectly.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I can tell you one thing: it's not a virus. And since it happened on XP too, it's most likely a hardware problem.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, shneorz.

Have you tried switching off and switching back on your router perhaps? - There was a thread recently where network problems affecting Linux Mint have been solved by doing exactly this.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Networking”