SMB and LibreOffice Base [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tripple_Delta
Level 1
Level 1

SMB and LibreOffice Base [SOLVED]

Post by Tripple_Delta »

Hi all,

I'm running Linux Mint Cinnamon and try to connect to my Synology DS216play with SMB/Cifs.
I can mount a share and read/write to it. However, when using LibreOffice Base problems start.

When I mount with the GUI I and try to save a new LibreOffice database I get this error:
Connection to the data source could not be established.
The given URL contains no legal path to the local filesystem.

After days of Googling this looks like a permission problem.

When mount with CLI like this:
$ sudo mount -t cifs -o username=MyName //server/share /path/to/mount

Everythings works like a charm.

I could mount with CLI but what is the difference between the two and is there a way to fix this the graphical way?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: SMB and LibreOffice Base

Post by rene »

The difference makes sense given the wording of the error; a file located on a mounted filesystem is as far as the higher layers is concerned "local" (i.e., it not being so is transparent to the higher layers) whereas this is not the case when "going through the GUI", through GVFS.

Leaves the actual error itself; your "Connection to the data source" sounds different but would you say this is the same issue? https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/sho ... i?id=72504

If so I guess it's to be considered a LibreOffice Base bug; note there's specific mention of Ubuntu 16.04, the base of Mint 18.x.
Tripple_Delta
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tripple_Delta »

Sounds like the same bug.
For now I have to keep my .odb file local.
Thanks.
Tripple_Delta
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tripple_Delta »

I found a work around until it's fixed:
viewtopic.php?t=222087

Return to “Networking”