[SOLVED] How to connect automatic to vpn??

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drcomputer

[SOLVED] How to connect automatic to vpn??

Post by drcomputer »

Hi all,

I was wondering how to connect to VPN automatically in linux mint KDE.

I have tried the normal / graphical way but it is gray. I can not click it to use it.

Any idea how to do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [18.2 KDE] How to connect automatic to vpn??

Post by phd21 »

Hi "drcomputer",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information. Which VPN provider are you using.

If you used the Network Manager (NM) in the system tray panel to setup your VPN server connections, then this is truly simple to do. Just click the NM icon, click the Configure Network Connections Icon (settings) in the upper right, double click to edit your connection to the internet (Local ISP connection - wired Ethernet or wireless), click the General Configuration Tab, Check the box to "Automatically connect to VPN when using this connection", and select one of the VPN servers you have already setup, and click OK.

Hope this helps ...
KDE-18_AutoConnectToVPN3sm.jpg
KDE-18_AutoConnectToVPN1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
drcomputer

Re: [SOLVED] How to connect automatic to vpn??

Post by drcomputer »

Hi phd21,

Thank you for assisting me in this problem and for the warm welcome.

I have solved the problem, it was just a matter of looking further (probably longer then my nose is).

I looked into the properties of the VPN connection. What I should have done was looking into the Ethernet connection which is your second picture. I can select the VPN there to connect automatically.

Thanks for the help ;)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] How to connect automatic to vpn??

Post by phd21 »

Hi "drcomputer",

You are most welcome...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Networking”