[SOLVED] Issues Mounting NAS Drive

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Issues Mounting NAS Drive

Post by altair4 »

Why did you mount //wdmycloud/public/Series twice? And to the same mount point? But as different users? One being root?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
BearV

Post by BearV »

Not sure why that happened. I rebooted and mounted again and now it only shows once.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Way ... Way ... past my bedtime again so this is my last for the day.

[1] Unmount the Movies share:

Code: Select all

sudo umount /home/bearv/Movies
[2] Change the line in fstab to this:

//wdmycloud/public/Movies /home/bearv/Movies cifs credentials=/home/.cifscredentials,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail,user,nounix 0 0
Run this command to mount it:

sudo mount -a
Does /home/bearv/Movies show the content you are expecting?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
BearV

Post by BearV »

Yeah that shows my content. It still dismounts when rebooting though,
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

BearV wrote:Yeah that shows my content. It still dismounts when rebooting though,
I am going to assume you mean it doesn't mount at boot.

The next time you reboot and it doesn't mount open a terminal and run:

sudo mount -a
Does it now mount?

If it does I suspect it's what I warned you about:
[2] Remove the noauto option so that it mounts at boot. This can be an issue since the networking stack on Mint occurs so late.
So incorporate WharfRat's original suggestion to your line in fstab:

[1] Unmount the Movies share:

sudo umount /home/bearv/Movies
[2] Change the line in fstab to add the noauto back to the like this:

//wdmycloud/public/Movies /home/bearv/Movies cifs credentials=/home/.cifscredentials,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail,user,nounix,noauto 0 0
Then you mount it as needed by selecting the Movies link under Network in your file manager.

Does /home/bearv/Movies show the content you are expecting?
BearV

Post by BearV »

Yeah no problem. As I've said it's mounting fine with all those steps, and the icon is also actionable, which is the main thing, really, I can deal with that.

If you think it is an OS limitation with the networking stack causing it to not mount at boot then I guess there's not a lot more to try. I'll just manually do it after each boot is all.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

There is noting manual about it.

You open your file manager and select the Music folder on the left side panel under Network or just double click the icon on your desktop if your desktop shows you these things and it mounts. This is how all of my samba shares mount these days. In fact a wrote a whole howto on the subject.
BearV

Post by BearV »

Well to be fair clicking a shortcut after each boot is still a manual task, albeit a very minor one. I'm still a newbie and learning Linux, so i'm just used to network mapping in Windows and never thinking about it afterwards.

No big deal, I'm really liking Linux Mint though.

Thanks for the help guys, i'll remark this as solved.
WharfRat

Re: [SOLVED] Issues Mounting NAS Drive

Post by WharfRat »

@altair4,

Thanks for chiming in here with your expertise on this subject,

I'm wondering if it's too early to resolve the name wdmycloud/public in fstab, Perhaps the IP address would correct this :?:

@BearV

I'm not at all familiar with that thing, but is there a setup panel or something where you set things up :?:

If so can you setup a static IP and try that in fstab :?:
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

From an end user perspective the flow is identical to Windows.

If I create a "map" of a Linux share in Win10 and open up notepad and do a File > Open my map is on the side panel of the notepad open dialogue:
MapDrive.png
If I create a similar entry in fstab with the noauto entry and open up gedit ( xed to you ) I get a similar entry to a Windows share:
MapDriveLinux.png
@WharfRat, a static ip address may help but I think the issue is the whole network stack in Mint. It takes twice as long for the network in Mint to be up and operational than it does in Ubuntu. I do not know why.

This type of problem where fstab is being executed before the network is up can and does happen in Ubuntu but nowhere near as often as it does in Mint. My solution in Ubuntu is to add a script to /etc/network/if-up.d that forces a mount -a after the network is operational
BearV

Post by BearV »

@WharfRat
I just gave the static IP a go and it's showing my content fine, but still no mount after boot.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Did you change the fstab line to //ip_address/public//Movies /home/bearv/Movies cifs credentials=/home/.cifscredentials,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail,user 0 0
BearV

Post by BearV »

Yeah I did.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

BearV wrote:Yeah I did.
Then it's probably the network stack in Mint as altair4 alluded to :?

It was worth a try though as there was really nothing to lose.
BearV

Post by BearV »

Yeah, ah well I'm happy that the mounting is now actionable and working regardless.

Once again thanks for the help.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

WharfRat wrote:
Then it's probably the network stack in Mint as altair4 alluded to :?

It was worth a try though as there was really nothing to lose.
In fairness we really don't know for sure if using a static ip address would have worked or not because we really have no idea how it's being accessed. The description of what was tried and what was done has been very cconfusing.

Is the mount point under /mnt, /media, or in the home directory?
Is the credentails file in credentials=/home/bearv/.cifscredentials, the credentials were actually in /root, or credentials=/home/.cifscredentials ?

We kept getting an error message No such file or directory which was only resolved after adding the nounix option to the list of parameters in fstab yet:
WharfRat wrote:Did you change the fstab line to //ip_address/public//Movies /home/bearv/Movies cifs credentials=/home/.cifscredentials,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail,user 0 0
BearV wrote:@WharfRat
I just gave the static IP a go and it's showing my content fine, but still no mount after boot.

That should not have worked since the nounix parameter was missing.
BearV wrote:Yeah, ah well I'm happy that the mounting is now actionable and working regardless.
And it should not be actionable - at least not by a regular user - because the noauto option is missing.

I don't know if we can draw any conclusions based on the information in this thread.
BearV

Post by BearV »

Yes very confusing I know, I apologise. I'm still a bit lost on some points also (mostly the different parameters) . I was going on the assumption at the beginning that we were using generic examples to get an idea of things. I could have saved us all time if I'd used my actual paths from the start. It didn't help that I went out of town midway through your assistance either.

altair4 wrote:
Is the mount point under /mnt, /media, or in the home directory?
Is the credentails file in credentials=/home/bearv/.cifscredentials, the credentials were actually in /root, or credentials=/home/.cifscredentials ?
I had no idea /mnt/ has an effect, I was using that as a generic path that I read in a separate article. As I corrected myself later: everything is under /home/bearv/Movies and, /home/bearv/Series . The credentials were originally in /root/ as I followed that in another article also, which was giving me the error No Such File or Directory when trying to click the actionable icon under network because I did not have elevated privileges. Once I moved it to /home/ did it remove this error. It wasn't because of the nounix addition.
altair4 wrote:
BearV wrote:@WharfRat

That should not have worked since the nounix parameter was missing.
Explain the nounix parameter to me, because it did work somehow.
altair4 wrote:
BearV wrote:Yeah, ah well I'm happy that the mounting is now actionable and working regardless.
And it should not be actionable - at least not by a regular user - because the noauto option is missing.
Hell I have no idea. It's actionable from the file manager on the left under network, I'm not getting the desktop icons you were mentioning until after I've mounted through the network icons.
altair4 wrote: I don't know if we can draw any conclusions based on the information in this thread.
It's a bit of a learning curve for me I know, but I'm getting the hang of the cl and finding my way around Linux. I've had no experience with this OS what so ever and I'm entirely used to using GUI's for my tasks a lot of the time, and the odd FTP and cmd on Windows. I'm taking it in; This may seem simple to you guys, but these initial hurdles will teach me a lot in my understanding in the long run.

I did say bare with me didn't I? :roll:

Return to “Networking”