Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tuzzer
Level 1
Level 1

can access samba share via command line but not via nemo [SOLVED]

Postby tuzzer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:40 am

Hello, I hope someone can solve this:

I have a shared folder on a Mint 18.1 server.
Samba configured for user level access and only my username allowed to use the share. Share is browsable

I'm trying to open the share from a Mint 18.2 laptop using nemo and I have two issues:
1. can't browse the network, with an error "Failed retreiving share list from server: file or directory does not exist" (translated from Italian don't know if it is exactly the same in English)
2. searching directly smb://ser.ver.ip.addr I do see the shared folder, but when trying to double click to open I have the window asking for Anonymous or registered user, I choose "registered" and insert the password, but I cannot actually open the share, because nemo does not authenticate falling back to the ask-for-password window

what i tried so far:
mount via terminal command "mount -t cifs etc. etc." --> WORKS perfectly
make the same share available to anyone with no password on the 18.1 server and access via nemo --> WORKS
trying to open the share via nemo from a different laptop with same Mint version (18.2) and nemo version (3.4.7) than the non-working laptop --> WORKS perfectly both network browsing and direct ip address link, same user and password

I guess the problem is that my installation of Mint lacks some plugin, authentication package or something like that
I had a similar issue accessing from a MacOS Sierra to a samba share, there I solved pointing the Finder to cifs://ip.addr.ess instead of smb://ip.addr.ess

Can anyone help me?
Last edited by tuzzer on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Re: can access samba share via command line but not via nemo

Postby altair4 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:43 am

1. can't browse the network, with an error "Failed retreiving share list from server: file or directory does not exist" (translated from Italian don't know if it is exactly the same in English)

Use the native Linux ( and macOS ) way of accessing hosts by name: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=185410#p960482
2. searching directly smb://ser.ver.ip.addr I do see the shared folder, but when trying to double click to open I have the window asking for Anonymous or registered user, I choose "registered" and insert the password, but I cannot actually open the share, because nemo does not authenticate falling back to the ask-for-password window

Which password? The Linux login password for that user or the samba password for that user?

In other words did you add the registered-user to the samba password database?

Code: Select all

sudo smbpasswd -a registered-user-name
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

tuzzer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tuzzer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:58 pm

altair4 wrote:Which password? The Linux login password for that user or the samba password for that user?

In other words did you add the registered-user to the samba password database?

Code: Select all

sudo smbpasswd -a registered-user-name

Tried both passwords, no result with both of them
I had added the user when configured samba on the server machine, and this user and samba password are those working via command line

altair4 wrote:Use the native Linux ( and macOS ) way of accessing hosts by name: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=185410#p960482

I'll try and let You know.
Thank You very much for your help

tuzzer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tuzzer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:59 pm

tuzzer wrote:I'll try and let You know.

Followed he instructions for the avahi method.
I find it nicer than the "browse workgroup" method, and I'll use in the future
But it didn't solve the authentication issue

At last, I have remembered that some days ago I installed gadmin-samba on the laptop which is giving the problem, to configure samba via gui, then removed gadmin-samba (even using the purge option), but for some reason its smb.conf file was still there.
I replaced it with the original smb.conf file and now authentication with samba user and password is working fine.

I guess something was wrong (at least for my needs) in the password authentication protocol or configuration or something.
I'm not this expert with samba and always used the standard basic conf file
I'll try to read and understand the options set up by gadmin-samba with its conf file

Thank You for your time

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Re: can access samba share via command line but not via nemo [SOLVED]

Postby altair4 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:47 am

I'll try to read and understand the options set up by gadmin-samba with its conf file

I think you will be wasting your time. Gadmin-samba is hopelessly out of date written originally for Samba Version 2 and never updated. We are now at Version 4 of Samba so many of the parameters used in gadmin-samba no longer exist.

I installed gadmin-samba and ran it to show you what is wrong with it. Please note that the the utility testparm is used to run diagnostics on smb.conf. When I run testparm -s it outputs a series of errors referencing many things that no longer exist:
WARNING: The "null passwords" option is deprecated
Unknown parameter encountered: "password level"
Ignoring unknown parameter "password level"
Unknown parameter encountered: "update encrypted"
Ignoring unknown parameter "update encrypted"
WARNING: The "idmap uid" option is deprecated
WARNING: The "idmap gid" option is deprecated
WARNING: socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
This warning is printed because you set one of the
following options: SO_SNDBUF, SO_RCVBUF, SO_SNDLOWAT,
SO_RCVLOWAT
Modern server operating systems are tuned for
high network performance in the majority of situations;
when you set 'socket options' you are overriding those
settings.
Linux in particular has an auto-tuning mechanism for
buffer sizes (SO_SNDBUF, SO_RCVBUF) that will be
disabled if you specify a socket buffer size. This can
potentially cripple your TCP/IP stack.

To be frank about this the only reason gadmin-samba is still in the repository is because no one - not in Mint, Ubuntu, or Debian - knows anything about Samba.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Other networking topics”