[SOLVED]Network Manager says I'm connected to unknown when I connect to VPN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux_User157

Re: Network Manager says I'm connected to unknown when I connect to VPN

Post by Linux_User157 »

The X server is not working. How do I fix that?
Linux_User157

Post by Linux_User157 »

I am using a live USB right now.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "Linux_User157",

Anytime an Nvidia video driver does not work, or does not work properly, boot into advanced recovery mode options, select "root", use the command below

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge nvidia*
then type in

Code: Select all

reboot
And you should be back to where you were.

Last edited by phd21 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Linux_User157

Post by Linux_User157 »

Thank GOD ALMIGHTY it's that easy. Also coders.
Linux_User157

Post by Linux_User157 »

It says it is in read only mode. I can't edit anything.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Linux_User157",

1.) I am glad you are back up and running...

The instructions I quoted for installing the current Nvidia driver are supposed to work for that Nvidia video card...

I am concerned for you that your dual video system is not working well together. Have you tried various Bios options, what are the Bios video options on your system?

One recommendation is to disable one of the video cards in the bios like the Intel one, or if there is a Bios option to give priority to the Nvidia video card, then see if your Nvidia will work properly.

FYI: Intel video has been improving a lot over the past years as well, and their newer video cards supposedly have a great Intel video Linux driver update utility as well.

Intel graphics update tool for linux* OS V2.0.2
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/ ... -os-v2.0.2

2.) How did it go with the openVPN software update? Are you now connecting to your ipvanish server(s)?

3.) While I was posting this reply, I see a another comment from you, "It says it is in read only mode. I can't edit anything.". You must be more specific. You probably just need to restart...

Good Luck ...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Linux_User157

Post by Linux_User157 »

In recovery mode, it says the file system is in read only mode. I can't purge Nvidia. Also, updating OpenVPN made no difference.
Linux_User157

Post by Linux_User157 »

How can I fix that?
Linux_User157

Post by Linux_User157 »

I figured out how to mount the file system in read/write mode, and I purged nvidia. I can now use graphical mode again. I have been through my BIOS several times and I've never seen anything to do with video cards in it, or even video options. I've been connecting to the VPN successfully this whole time. It's just that for some reason, it is connecting to unknown as well. The update to OpenVPN did nothing that I can tell. I will check out the update tool.
Thanks,
Linux_User157
Linux_User157

Post by Linux_User157 »

Sorry to keep bumping this topic,(I didn't know about that before yesterday) but I had to add that I have a Nvidia GFX. I just checked the BIOS. I was wrong.
Linux_User157

Re: [Please help] Network Manager says I'm connected to unknown when I connect to VPN

Post by Linux_User157 »

How do I fix the VPN problem?

Return to “Networking”