Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vgsavoia
Level 1
Level 1

Can't access my home network shared drive [SOLVED]

Postby vgsavoia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 am

Hello.
I have a Seagate external HD attached via USB to an ASUS RT-AC87U router with network share enabled. I can access the shared folders from all other computers in my network (Windows and Mac alike).
My notebook is running Linux Mint 18.2 with samba installed, and from it I can see the shares, but when I try to access any of them, I'm asked for username, password and domain. I type them according to what was set in the router (and is working on every other computer), but I keep getting the same window asking for it over and over as if the password was incorrect.
What am I doing wrong? I'm a fairly novice user so every help is appreciated!
Last edited by vgsavoia on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

altair4
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Can't access my home network shared drive

Postby altair4 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:32 am

The problem with working with routers and NAS devices is that although they normal use samba themselves they use antique versions of it that are incompatible by default with the client machine. You end up making guesses and trying one thing after another until you find the magic key. It's all very frustrating,

Give this a shot:

Run this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

smbclient -L hostname -U username

Change hostname to the name you gave the router and username to the user name you set up on that router for that share.

If it comes back with something like Server does not support EXTENDED_SECURITY but 'client use spnego = yes and 'client ntlmv2 auth = yes' edit /etc/samba/smb.conf to fix it:

In the [global] section of smb.conf - I normally put these kinds of things under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line - add the following lines:

client NTLMv2 auth = no
client use spnego = no

Save smb.conf and restart smbd:

sudo service smbd restart
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

vgsavoia
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't access my home network shared drive [SOLVED]

Postby vgsavoia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:45 pm

Thank you! It worked like magic :D

Return to “Other networking topics”