Isp throttling a VPN connection??

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Glockdoc
Level 2
Level 2

Isp throttling a VPN connection??

Post by Glockdoc »

Howdy,

This is a modem/router question. I will go ahead and ask forgiveness in advance. All of my Linux-modem settings are working fine, but you guys are genuises so I am posting what may be a non linux question.

I have 200mps fiber to the house, 3bbs crappy modem set to bridge mode, and use my Asus 52c so I can utilize the ddrwt software to connect the router to my vpn.

When I turn off the vpn I get around 200mps with my wired connection and around 150-165 with wifi. So far, so good.

I live in Thailand. When I connect my vpn to LA I drop to 4-6 mps. I assumed the distance was the issue but the speed still worked for me. Yesterday, it didn't. I connected to Perth....same speed. Hmmmm, I thought. I connected to the Thailand server.....same speed.

This leads me to believe either my isp is throttling my VPN connection or I have a router setting that is limiting my bandwith when connected. I have the qos setting turned of. I tried both off and on, with 200 as my up and down speed, and did not notice a difference in speed.

My vpn has a chameleon setting on their mobile app that disguises the traffic and I do not see a huge speed drop. However, the software on my modem does not support that and I have to use the open vpn configuration.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, JC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”