Setup openvpn does not work

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Setup openvpn does not work

Post by dhdurgee »

I am attempting to setup an openvpn connection on my 18.2 x64 cinnamon system. As per earlier in this thread, I added the openvpn repository and updated their files. I am able to successfully open my VPN tunnel from the command line, but attempting to setup the network connection is not working.

I am starting with the WiFi icon on my bottom bar and selecting "Network Connections" first. When that opens I select "Add" next. I then select the "Import a saved VPN configuration..." and hit the "Create" button. This brings up a file selection dialog and I select the same .ovpn file I used on the command line. The response I get is:

Cannot import VPN connection

The file 'Ashburn.ovpn' could not be read or does not contain
recognized VPN connection information

Error: the plugin does not support import capability.

Am I missing something? I see the openvpn choice under VPN as well, but selecting that opens a dialog box that does not list an import option.

Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”