"Solved" No Fire-Wire working/connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Skalman
Level 4
Level 4

"Solved" No Fire-Wire working/connection

Post by Skalman »

Hi!
In this case I'm like a newbee.
I had LinuxMint 18.2 - 32 bit cinamon. Plugged in the Fire-Wire connector from my external SoundCard Focusrite Saffire 24.
Everything worked fine and the "middle" LED/lamp was lighting up when playing, showing it is connected. And when I installed I didn't do anything.
Unfortunately (?) the computer is a 64 bit machine so yesterday I reinstalled the LinuxMint18.3 -64 bit version, it erased all old information.

Now when I connect the Fire-Wire connector before startup the laptop it twinkles the middle lamp at the startup but when I try to use the sound-card nothing happens. Music comes out from the built-in small speakers.Lamp is black.

I can not find any help in the menus and the package loaders or other way. I don't know how I might use the terminal and Sudo and some commands from there.

So... what to do and HOW to do? Please, someone can help me with this?
Thank You!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Skalman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: No Fire-Wire working/connection

Post by Skalman »

Oh...please.....very sorry....
:oops:
I discovered that the loudspeaker icon at the down most right corner turned to a music sign.
Clicked on it and HEUREKA...... the goooood Linux has picked up my external sound card box.
I just clicked and chosed it and it works!!!!!
:D

Now I find the way to fix this next time.
Menu and >preferences >system settings >hardware and the Sound icon.
Sorry bothering you people, after all Iḿ new to Linux
Thanks anyway, hope this might help someone else.
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Hello,

I use firewire for my external behringer fca 202. I have LM Rosa 17.3 64 bit. I would put the name of
your focusrite card in search. Another site with great info for this is linuxmusicians.com . I do not know
how you were using it but I would make certain that everything firewire related was installed if you use
ffado. Now, you may wish to use the new firewire stack which does not use ffado, I believe. I use the
new firewire stack. I followed instructions from linuxmusicians since I use cadence and jack. It works very well.

Good fortune with this.

Sincerely,

marcia
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Hello,

Somehow I missed your reply. Glad you have it working. Such an easy
solution, too. Maybe I will upgrade to 8.2 sooner than later.

Best,

marcia
Skalman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Skalman »

Thank you Marcia!
I shall look up the linuxmusicians.com.
Earlier I used the Win op and had some problems when changed from XP to W7. The Focusrite people helped me very nicely. But at that time they had no support for Linux.
The idea to search on that name --I shall try it out.

I use some old programs to write music and get it to notes and some synts, the sort/type they record acoustic instruments and digitalise them. Can't efford real live orchestra to play the music. Compose in light classical style.

Never mind, I would like to use the Rose-garden but failed to get all necessary parts and synths and.... But that is an other issue to talk about, not in this thread.

Thank You.
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Hi,

You are very welcome. If you check out linuxmusicians I know there are posts
about your focusrite sound card. Much great help there for making
music in linux and setting up for music recording,etc.

LM 18.2 must be a very good distro. I am very impressed how easy it was for
you to get your card working.

Have fun.

Best Wishes,

Marcia

Return to “Networking”