Mint 18.3 and Win server 2012

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tilasb87

Mint 18.3 and Win server 2012

Post by tilasb87 »

Hello everyone!
I have done quite a bit of searching for quite some time, and I am not finding a solution. I have used Linux distros off and on for years and I have never had an issue, but I have just recently set up a windows server in my home for my home based company. On a side note, I am still a bit of a noob when it comes to Linux, but I do know more than the first time user. Normally, I run my windows 10 system to access my files and what have you, but I would like to add my Linux Mint system to the domain as well so I don't have to keep switching back and forth when I need access to my files on the server. I have made a few attempts at setting it up myself based off of older forum posts all around the net, and have borked my system a time or two, so to anyone who can help, here is all the info I can give for the moment to give you an idea of where I stand as of the moment.

Server:
Windows Server 2012

Installed services:
AD DS
DNS
AD RMS
File and Storage services
ISS (Web Server)

Linux System:
Dell OptiPlex 3010
Core i3 3225
Linux Mint 18.3 (fresh install)

I appreciate any help I can get, and I apologize if I am not posting in the correct spot in the forum. If I am not in the correct place, any help on which direction to go will be greatly appreciated also. Thank you all, and have a great day/night.

Moderator: moved from Cinnamon to Other networking topics, which seemed more appropriate. Welcome to the Mint forums!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 18.3 and Win server 2012

Post by deepakdeshp »

To seamlessly share files bet. Linux. And windows, samba has to be configured. Something to start with
viewtopic.php?t=123827
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
tilasb87

Post by tilasb87 »

Thank you for your reply. Once I have installed samba on my PC, is there anything that I need to install on my server or set up on my server? I don't need instructions for that. Just a push in the right direction.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I am running a centos7 server with AD and I just want to point out that samba from the repos might not be compiled for AD. I dont know if this is the case with Mint but you might want to download and compile samba from source.

./configure
make
make install

Im not sure about Mint/ Ubuntu as for AD. But on my centos7 its not.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
tilasb87

Post by tilasb87 »

Do you think that would help me in the case of trying to connect to my windows server? I am thinking that my issue lies within the server side to be honest. I am looking into some microsoft forums for the same issue, but so far, I have come up empty handed...
tilasb87

Post by tilasb87 »

Ok. To anyone that has a similar issue in the future,
I have found a solution that works for me. In the instance of just accessing the file server rather that joining the domain, the easiest way that I have come across, is:

Open File Manager (It shows up as Files on your menu)

Click File

Connect to server

Input Server IP (I set the port number as 21)

In the drop menu for type, I selected Windows Shares

Input domain name, user account, and password. (The user account and password must be set up on the server prior to attempting this.)

Done! You now have access to your file shares without any muss or fuss.

Now... I am a first time poster in any forum. Yup! I'm a noob. lol. Could someone please tell me how to mark this as solved so I don't get in trouble for not doing so? Thank you in advance and thank you to those who replied to this to help me solve my problem. :D

Return to “Networking”