SOLVED- How to do updates using SSH for remote computers.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bushyiii
Level 4
Level 4

SOLVED- How to do updates using SSH for remote computers.

Post by bushyiii »

I have a small home network, I can easily go to each computer and do an update but I would like to increase my skills. My current update policy for all computers is " Just keep my Computer safe". If I do an update from the command line will I be able to do it in the same manner?

I checked man apt-get, didn't see anything that suggested I could do conservative updates.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: How to do updates using SSH for remote computers.

Post by WharfRat »

You can use mintupdate-tool.

See mintupdate-tool upgrade --help for options

I use an alias mut='sudo mintupdate-tool upgrade -l12345 -ry'
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

To update remote computer using your update policy settings you can for example use the following command :

Code: Select all

ssh -t myremoteusername@myremotehost sudo mintupdate-tool upgrade 
Replace myremoteusername and myremotehost with your actual remote username and remote host name or ip address.
Last edited by Laurent85 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bushyiii
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bushyiii »

Thanks for both replies, was unaware the mintupdate tool could be used in the terminal.
Wharfrat, adding your example was especially helpful. Checked help on the tool as you suggested and didn't understand this "-l LEVELS, --levels LEVELS
ignore settings and restrict to this list of levels. Reviewing your example instantly cleared it up.

Return to “Networking”