VPN is not working in Sylvia

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nanohead
Level 1
Level 1

VPN is not working in Sylvia

Post by nanohead »

OK, have tried everything. I'm a reasonably experienced Linux user who can usually solve most problems, but this one has me stumped completely.

Paid for a VPN service (pure vpn). It works perfectly fine on my windows 10 machines. But on my linux machines, it simply will not work...ever.

I've tried the following

Besides spending hours on chat with their (pretty responsive!) tech support, and trying all sorts of things, I've done all the below.
Clean install on Intel based system. Both 32 and 64 Bit.
Clean install on AMD based system. 64 Bit
PPTP connections to various servers
OpenVPN connections to various servers
Eliminating the router from the path and directly connecting my cable modem to the computer
Disabling IPV6
etc, etc.

Using PPTP, I get this message. "The VPN connection disconnected because the VPN service Stopped". I believe this is a Linux error message.

Using OpenVPN, it simply retries over and over then times out.

If it didn't work perfectly fine on several windows machines, I'd probably just give up, but now I need to find a solution! :shock:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: VPN is not working in Sylvia

Post by phd21 »

Hi "nanohead",

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

First, everyone should use the "OpenVPN" protocol (UDP) because it is the most secure one.

Second, I have had some difficulty connecting to certain VPN provider's servers unless the OpenVPN client software is version 2.4 or higher. You can update this using the instructions in the link below.

Is it possible to install the latest openvpn on 17.3 without breaking everything[SOLVED]
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=242583&hilit=openvpn

FYI: Also, sometimes a VPN provider's server for a particular location gets overloaded, so try another one.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
nanohead
Level 1
Level 1

Re: VPN is not working in Sylvia

Post by nanohead »

Thanks so much for responding. Here's the screenshot..... Pretty plain jane stuff. installed 18.3 outta the box, no mods. just basic updates.

Did the OVPN updates, thanks for that. I tried doing an update through package manager, but I guess I needed to add the repo, so now it worked. Updated to 2.4.4

Will try to reconnect again

Return to “Networking”