Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
linuxnewbie101
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED -VPN tunneling problems on Sylvia 18.3

Post by linuxnewbie101 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:08 am

I'm brand new to Linux. Running LinuxMint Sylvia 18.3, Cinnamon, 64-bit. Tried several VPNs that will not work nicely with other tunnelling services. Can not get Private Internet Access to work based on any of the provided guides on this distro. A second VPN, NordVPN works but prevents other programs such as secondary VPNs from being tunnelled through. UDP connections time out on occasion and doesn't work at all with TCP protocol.

I suspect it is related to wi-fi card built into motherboard (H270N-WIFI-CF) or perhaps limitations of Sylvia (4.10.0-42-generic), as everything tunnelled flawlessly on Windows 10 on same network and hardware.
Last edited by linuxnewbie101 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

linuxnewbie101
Level 1
Level 1

Re: VPN problems on Sylvia 18.3

Post by linuxnewbie101 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:45 am

I attempted to disable DNSmasq, disable DHCP, and set manual DNS settings, manually set resolvconf, tried running the services from terminal, and tried many other manual settings offered on this forum and others, but nothing ultimately fixed this issue. I have solved the problem by installing VPN on my Tomato Router, and running whatever secondary programs from Linux. NordVpn has great guides for setting up their service on routers, including Tomato. And Tomato has a great option to route traffic from specific IP addresses through the VPN, while ignoring other users. Wish I'd known this weeks ago.

linuxnewbie101
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED -VPN tunneling problems on Sylvia 18.3

Post by linuxnewbie101 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:17 am

I now have PIA vpn working on my PC through openvpn, after changing my CMOS battery. It seems wrong system time was keeping me from connecting. The default configuration files worked for me (they have 4 alternates, and the TCPIP config also worked) following this guide, ignoring the directions to alter the way the IP port is indicated in the openvpn networkmanager configuration. A second problem with the PIA setup is that once it is saved, there is a glitch with the network manager that unsets the security cipher to 'default'. Once the vpn connection is saved you must go back into the configuration and rest the the cipher to AES128-CBC, and HMAC to SHA1.

Return to “Other networking topics”