<SOLVED> Setting up openvpn

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonblo

<SOLVED> Setting up openvpn

Post by jonblo »

I've tried to create a new connection but it won't work.

I open the network manager and click the plus icon to create a new connection. Then I choose openvpn in the list of connection types, then I get a new screen where I'm given a dropdown list to choose from. The standard option is a certificates (TLS) type connection and under that there's four things I need to enter; user certificate, CA certificate, private key, private key password. I have my config files and can select them but I don't have a private key password.

The 'Add' button is greyed out and I can't add a connection until I change something. I tried following the advice here;

https://superuser.com/questions/271740/ ... 32#1197832

but when I try to create a password the terminal tells me "Mac verify error: invalid password?"

There's also a place to enter a gateway but I don't know what that is supposed to be either.

Where am I going wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jonblo

Re: Setting up openvpn

Post by jonblo »

I thought I'd answer this myself, just in case it helps someone else.

My vpn provider emailed me with these instructions; don't bother with the network manager, just navigate to the folder that your config files are stored in (probably easiest to do this in the file manager rather than the terminal), right click and hit 'open with terminal' the run this command: sudo openvpn {file-name}

You'll have to enter the name of your config file. Mine is something like: go1-UDP4-6544-0THik.ovpn (not actual file name).

The file will probably end in .ovpn

Once you run that command it should connect you to your vpn. To test this go to whatsmyip.com or whatsmyip.org and see what you get. One of those websites lists the country that the ip address if from, so that should give you an indication of whether it's working or not.
wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: <SOLVED> Setting up openvpn

Post by wallaroo »

FYI ...

Generally the way to do this in Network Manager when you have an .ovpn file is to select 'Add' and in the drop down list select "Import a saved VPN configuration.." then select your ovpn file.

This way you will have the option of connecting and disconnecting at will through the Network Manager.

Return to “Networking”