Menu places and remote file retrieval

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antcj
Level 3
Level 3

Menu places and remote file retrieval

Post by antcj »

Hi , I have asked this question ,many moons ago , and i still have the same issue.
With mint 19 on the horizon i would like to find a solution.
(This is the only reason ive held off upgrading to 18)

so figured ill ask one more time.

Im on 17.3 mate

I have a nas with a spreadsheet that i access repeatedly all day. auto mounted, (per one of xenopeeks tuts.)

I have a short cut directly to the spreadsheet in my places menu
smb://nas/public/myfile.ods

this works without a hitch.

However in mint 18(all) via clean VBox this no longer works and i get a notification:"could not display smb://nas/public/myfile.ods. The location is not a folder.

(i installed a clean 17.3 in VBox to ensure that i had not perhaps done something in the past to enable this and it just works.)

any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
keithrboz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Menu places and remote file retrieval

Post by keithrboz »

Is Samba installed and have you allocated a smbpasswd?
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbauaptop@gmail.com
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

antcj wrote: However in mint 18(all) via clean VBox this no longer works and i get a notification:"could not display smb://nas/public/myfile.ods. The location is not a folder.
Are you sure you have tried 18.1 in your virtual box?
How do you mount smb://nas/public/myfile.ods?
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
antcj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by antcj »

keithrboz wrote:Is Samba installed and have you allocated a smbpasswd?
yes to both
Last edited by antcj on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antcj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by antcj »

[/quote]
Are you sure you have tried 18.1 in your virtual box?

In fact Vbox is 18.3

How do you mount smb://nas/public/myfile.ods?[/quote]

My mistake it wasn’t xenopeek , but altair, see this post.
viewtopic.php?t=189508
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

antcj wrote: Are you sure you have tried 18.1 in your virtual box?

In fact Vbox is 18.3
I mean, have you tried to run mint 18.1 in your virtual box? (Please answer yes or no)
antcj wrote: How do you mount smb://nas/public/myfile.ods?

My mistake it wasn’t xenopeek , but altair, see this post.
viewtopic.php?t=189508
I think you used the gvfs-mount method and I am not familiar with that.
I think the problem may be an incompatibility with the SMB versions supported by the server and the version used on the client (your pc).
This could then be solved by forcing your pc to use another SMB version througt the mount command, however I cannot find a way to specify that in a gvfs-mount statement.

An alternative is using the mounting method UltramaticOrange suggested: viewtopic.php?t=189508#p981557.
If that does not work, change it to this:

Code: Select all

//servername/sharename  /mnt/fileserver  cifs  noauto,vers=1.0,credentials=/home/ubuntuusername/.smbpasswd  0  0
or

Code: Select all

//servername/sharename  /mnt/fileserver  cifs  noauto,vers=2.0,credentials=/home/ubuntuusername/.smbpasswd  0  0
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I've got a synology NAS and am running cinnamon 18.3, no problems accessing the NAS, see my post in the topic below:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=260252
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
antcj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by antcj »

I mean, have you tried to run mint 18.1 in your virtual box? (Please answer yes or no)
Short answer is no.
Long answer is im running linux mint version 18.3 in the vbox. I did initially try 18.1 when it first came out to no avail

Really appreciate the effort here.
I will be looking at yout suggestions as soon as i have a spare moment, and then get back
antcj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by antcj »

AndyMH wrote:I've got a synology NAS and am running cinnamon 18.3, no problems accessing the NAS, see my post in the topic below:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=260252
appreciate the link, something else to bookmark.

However the problem is not folder access but an individual file , in this case a spreadsheet.
Folder access every time, never misses.(using altairs approach mentioned above)

I believe that the point im trying to get across , file shortcut in the places menu, has been missed.

I have full access to the folder and file, i just cant create the file shortcut in menu/ places.
that’s my only issue.
If i only accessed the file once a day i wouldn’t bother anyone with this, however its accessed (opened and closed) many times in a day, and im just trying to cut down on clicks, to get to it.
antcj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by antcj »

@ vimes666

Tried your suggestion but could not get it to work.
i reinstalled 18.3 to have a clean slate.

Ive no doubt got something wrong but am at a loss as to what that may be. i will have another try when i get a bit of time
antcj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by antcj »

So ive fooled around with this once again. (on a virtual box)
The only way i can get a file to open directly is via a launcher on the desktop. using the creds file with username and password.per altair4, mentioned above.

This is not ideal , and a tad irritating that a direct launcher will work but not from the custom places menu.

I cant mark it as solved, cos it ain’t, but the workaround is better than jumping through directories.

Return to “Networking”