Cinnamon 18.3 and Samba problem

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dcluley

Cinnamon 18.3 and Samba problem

Post by dcluley »

I am having a problem with Cinnamon Mint 18.3 and Samba. I am newish to Linux and Mint but I have a background of 15 years consultancy services setting up and maintaining Novell and Windows networks plus 5 years of being a lecturer in networking at an FE college. On retirement my home setup consisted of a Netware 6.5 server, 2 Windows 2008 servers and a Windows XP workstation. Not liking Microsoft's move to subscription-based software I decided I ought to investigate Linux and bought two machines to experiment. I installed Cinnamon Mint 16 on the new machines and found I was quite happy with the setup although even now I cannot get my head round the system of scattering setup and reporting routines across several files and directories.

Anyway I successfully set up Samba to access my Windows machines and again when I upgraded to Mint 17.1. By then I had moved most of my needs to my main Mint workstation and the other machine held the backups. I bought two more machines to use as test machines for the latest version of Mint to see if I was missing anything important. Then a few days ago we had a power cut here and my backup machine got totally screwed; well I could not resue it anyway. Not a problem, I thought. I'll install again from scratch; I have other copies of the backups so I can restore those too.

Having read the latest messages about Spectre etc it seemed sensible to upgrade to Mint 18.3 and I thought this is a good opportunity to move to a totally Mint only setup so now I only needed 2 Mint machines to talk to each other. I was a bit surprised to discover that Mint seems not to have a built-in connectivity for networking machines and that I still have to use Samba which I had previously thought was only necessary if Windows machines were involved. I would be delighted to be proved wrong but my web-trawling results seem to suggest that Samba is preferred. Even then it is not installed by default. Have I got this wrong? How can a supposedly grown-up operating system not have built-in networking?

So I install Samba server on my new-install 18.3 backup machine but find I am completely unable to get my 17.1 main machine to connect to it. I want to get my stuff backed up before I upgrade the main machine to 18.3. I use the same command line string that worked with 17.1:
sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.101.124 ~mount -o username=<name>,password=<pwd>
but get Mount error(13): Permission denied
and if I do
smbclient -L //192.168.101.124
I get session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Some web results suggest there might be a problem with Mint 18.3 and Samba. Is this true? Am I doing it all wrong? Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for your patience in reading this crie-de-coeur.

David Cluley
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PJO3

Re: Cinnamon 18.3 and Samba problem

Post by PJO3 »

See the end of this thread viewtopic.php?f=157&t=261937, and others. Did you search on Samba?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I'm going to go with the most obvious question first in the hopes that this is something simple:
So I install Samba server on my new-install 18.3 backup machine but find I am completely unable to get my 17.1 main machine to connect to it. I want to get my stuff backed up before I upgrade the main machine to 18.3. I use the same command line string that worked with 17.1:
sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.101.124 ~mount -o username=<name>,password=<pwd>
but get Mount error(13): Permission denied
and if I do
smbclient -L //192.168.101.124
I get session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Did you on the Mint 18.3 server add <name> to the samba password database:

Code: Select all

sudo smbpasswd -a <name>
If it's not something simple we need to find out how the server is set up so please post the output of the following commands:

testparm -s

net usershare info --long
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
dcluley

Post by dcluley »

Ah! sudo smbpasswd -a <name> did the trick many thanks.
I don't remember having to do that on earlier versions.
Thanks again.
David Cluley

Return to “Networking”