Suggestions for Mounting my Personal CLoud NAS

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fiduggin67
Level 2
Level 2

Suggestions for Mounting my Personal CLoud NAS

Post by Fiduggin67 »

Hello Everyone,

This should be simple, but can't seem to figure it out. I have a Seagate Personal Cloud that I use for backing up every thing I have on all devices. I can access it through a web browser fine using the local IP address. It didn't even show up in Network until I installed Samba. Now it shows up as Windows/Workgroup/Personalcloud. But whenever I click on it I get the error "Unable to Mount Location." I don't have any trouble accessing it through any other device, including my iMac. There is a user name and password, but I never get that far.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks for any advice.

Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
Rocky556

Re: Suggestions for Mounting my Personal CLoud NAS

Post by Rocky556 »

I'd like to hear more on this as well I'm trying to mount a USB Passport external drive and I'm getting the same message. Ho ho there, experts!
dutchenery

Re: Suggestions for Mounting my Personal CLoud NAS

Post by dutchenery »

I do not class myself as an expert but I solved this as follows: My NAS is a simple 1Tb USB drive attached to the router. The easy way to mount this is to alter the fstab file. (gedit /ext/fstab) and include the following line:
//192.168.1.254/usb1 /media/data cifs rw,credentials=/home/name_of_user/.credentials,uid=1000,gid=1000,vers=1.0 0 0
You might have to change the url to your system's requirement as some routers respond to 192.168.1.1 or even something else.
You will also for safety reasons have to make a 'credentials' file.
sudo gedit ~/.credentials (don't forget the full stop before the filename).This will give an empty file.
Type:
#username and password for nas
username=name_of_user
password=password_of_the_router
Save the file (which will be positioned invisible on the home directory).
From then on - if all went well you can mount the nas by typing 'sudo mount -a'
Hope this will solve your problem.

Return to “Networking”