[Moved-other] Mint 18 Sarah and a Conexant HCF modem- can do?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Peterjack

[Moved-other] Mint 18 Sarah and a Conexant HCF modem- can do?

Post by Peterjack »

Hi all,

It seems as I learn more and more I turn to this resource more and more! Just FYI I have read everything I can Google on this, but it all seems to be old, Ubuntu 11 is as close as I seem to get at most URLs.

Yes, I admit it is crazy seeming, but it isn't if I finally fire ComCast! I have a perfectly good working modem on an XP tower that I've turned into a dual boot home network storage server with Sarah 18 XFCE. I also happen to pay $10 a month to EarthLink for dial-up access mainly to maintain old websites on their space and my wife's e-mail address.

SO- it seems it is quite hard to get "native" Linux drivers for this modem. In fact, nearly impossible except for pay and even those do not match Mint. I can learn rebuilding the Kernel, but certainly NOT my first choice!!!

Being a dual boot XP machine, I have ready and easy access to the original 32 bit XP driver- would it be easier maybe to explore ndiswrapper for this driver??

Ideas and links welcome, I just imaged the disk in case I need to recover from a disaster. -Pete

[For candidate modem in: 03:03.0
0780 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp Modem
Primary device ID: 14f1:1036
Support type needed or chipset: hcfpcimodem]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”