Non Linux but networking question

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tho9504
Level 1
Level 1

Non Linux but networking question

Post by tho9504 »

Hi all,
I wanted to ask all you experts for opinion / comment regarding how to have two seperate networks? I currently have Verizon fios with their Quantum router and all my devices are connected to that. I wanted to see if i could add another router that i has it's own security password and SSID.

I want the devices on the second router to talk to each other but NOT able to see or talk to my main router devices. For example, i have iphone and chromecast. Under the fios router, there is a guest wifi which i could log the chromecast and iphone into but the "guest" wifi does NOT let them talk to each other. So i had to put them in my main network. Also have friends that want to use chomecast sometimes through their phone so i have to give up my password to my main network. i dont want to do that. I wanted a second router with it's own password that i could have friends log into and use the chromecast but in no way able to see my main network or have access to any device there. I think it's maybe a LAN to WAN connection? i am not that technical, so any help would be useful. Thanks. I drew up a diagram of what i think i want below.
pic1.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trapperjohn

Re: Non Linux but networking question

Post by trapperjohn »

Hi,

This is pretty straight ahead.

First, determine the subnet of your FIOS router (typicaly 192.168.1.0/24, which means all of the addresses begin with 192.168.1).

Then, take a second router and connect one of its LAN ports to an ethernet port on your computer and log into this second router's administrative interface. In the settings for the WAN (location in the admin interface varies depending on the model) make sure it's DHCP. Then change the address of the second router's LAN to 192.168.3.1. After the setting is changed you will need to point your browser to 192.168.3.1 if you want to further administrate it.

Finally, plug the WAN port on the second router into a LAN port on the FIOS router. Now you have two isolated networks: one on subnet 192.168.1.0/24 and another on 192.168.3.0/24.
Last edited by trapperjohn on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
tho9504
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Re: Non Linux but networking question

Post by tho9504 »

Thanks, That seems to seperate my networks. Thanks again..

Return to “Networking”