Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

autofs after login password change [SOLVED]

Post by scrognoid » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:47 pm

I have two computers running Mate 17.3.
System A is sharing a drive '2bb'. System B uses autofs to mount '2bb'. I changed the login password on A from oldpass to newpass and changed /etc/auto.sambashares on B to use newpass. 2bb no longer gets mounted on B.
As a test I changed the login on A and the credentials in auto.sambashares on B back to oldpass and it works. I logged out/in on A and B after each change.
There must be somewhere else I need to change oldpass to newpass.

/etc/auto.sambashares:

Code: Select all

2bb  -fstype=cifs,rw,username=tim,password=newpass,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 ://10.0.0.60/2bb
Last edited by scrognoid on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 17.3 Mate; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: autofs after login password change

Post by altair4 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:51 pm

I don't have an explanation for this symptom so let me ask what may be a stupid question but it is the most obvious. You said you changed the logon password on A and by that I assume you mean the local login password. Did you also change the samba password for that user on A?

Code: Select all

sudo smbpasswd -a tim
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Re: autofs after login password change

Post by scrognoid » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:43 am

Well, of course that's it. Thank you. I didn't remember Samba having its own credentials, let alone what they would be if I had set them different from local login.

I only think about this stuff every few years when I get a new computer. I always refer back to your excellent tutorial
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=144997
I might suggest updating it with a note to be mindful of what credentials go in auto.sambashares. I'm guessing that if I were to start using NFS instead of cifs/samba the credentials could be different.

Thanks again.
Linux Mint 17.3 Mate; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM

Return to “Other networking topics”