Samba restart and LM15 and LM18.3

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stanley82
Level 3
Level 3

Samba restart and LM15 and LM18.3

Post by stanley82 »

I keep editing my /etc/samba/smb.conf file and doing
sudo service smbd start stop restart they seem run okay but changes to smb.conf are not activated.
sudo /etc/init.d/smbd start give the above result.
A reboot does the job okay.
I have two LM18.3 Cinnamon desktops and a LM15 Cinamon laptop and the same smb.conf file on all three,
On the laptop Nemo Network shows Windows Network and all three computers and I can dig into the shared files.
On the two desktops I only get the Windows Network and no sign of my three machines but but if I dig into my WORKGROUP I can see the two desktops. I have the gufw disabled on all three machines.
Any ideas Ian.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Samba restart and LM15 and LM18.3

Post by all41 »

stanley82 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:43 pm I keep editing my /etc/samba/smb.conf file and doing
sudo service smbd start stop restart they seem run okay but changes to smb.conf are not activated.
sudo /etc/init.d/smbd start give the above result.
A reboot does the job okay.
Try this:
sudo service smbd restart
and then
sudo service nmbd restart

The samba.config changes should be effective.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
stanley82
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Samba restart and LM15 and LM18.3

Post by stanley82 »

I've not experimented with that one. There seems to be a number of ways on the web that may or may not do it on every Linux distribution. Samba and firewalls are not consistent. I'm experimenting with this info "viewtopic.php?f=157&t=185410#p960482" and it's looking quite good but not consistent between LM18.3 machines. More to follow on above link. Ian

Return to “Networking”