How to expose my LAMP server to the WWW?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeadRinger

How to expose my LAMP server to the WWW?

Post by DeadRinger »

HI,

I'm running 18.3 Cinnamon. I installed LAMP and PHPMyAdmin... ran the tests and so far so good.

I have a domain, that I can transfer to my server, but first I must learn how to expose my server to the web.

What I'm looking for is assistance/tutorials on how to expose the server to the web.
My server is on my wifi network, which is connected to my ISP router...
I have access to the router so I can port forward to my server, but I don't know what to do here exactly. Port forwarding from what I understand tells my ISP's router to open a port for my server and let it "hang out on the web" :D

GOAL:
I have a domain that I want to transfer to my server. Also, I have a SSL Cert already, but I need to give the LAMP server a dedicated IP address, not a dynamic ip... :shock:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to expose my LAMP server to the WWW?

Post by MrEen »

I'm pretty sure your first steps will be to have your ISP assign you a static IP addy, then log in to your registrar and have them point the domain to that IP. I have never done this myself, but I'm pretty sure those will be required for what you are wanting.

The rest I'll leave to others to assist with.

Good luck.
DeadRinger

Re: How to expose my LAMP server to the WWW?

Post by DeadRinger »

UPDATE:

So, it seems NOIP.com is a solution to getting a static ip, which points to your dynamic ip and makes sure it remains pointing correctly by installing a DUC software, which updates every 5 mins, and for free but you have to confirm by clicking a link every 30 days...

Not ideal, but for FREE its a good start...

So far I have learned that if I continue to use my current host, I simply change the head to the DNS Zone change page in cPanel and edit the domain zone to my ip adsress.
Currently my ip address is static, unless my ISP router reboots for some reason, which happens rarely.

So provided I have a copy of my website on my server and I port forward the router this will work.

Final issue (which started all this) is to veryify that with my SSL cert. I will have to determine if having it sitting on my host is good enough or I need to install it on my server... Likely the latter...

If I wanted or opt to get rid of my hosting provider altogether, I suspect I will need to info the registrar and officially move it to my server...

Looking for any feedback on the above...

Return to “Networking”