can't ping by name; affecting autofs? [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scrognoid
Level 4
Level 4

can't ping by name; affecting autofs? [SOLVED]

Post by scrognoid »

I can ping by IP in both directions, from Computer A to Computer B and back. I can ping B.local from A but not the other way.
I think this is related to my real problem: autofs mounts on B take minutes to list directories or fail entirely.

Computer A = Mate 17.3
Computer B = Mate 18.3

My network is all Linux Mint now. To make things simple (?!?) I am share via Guest Access. caja-share seems to work (different folder from autofs mounts).

autofs set up according to altair4: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=144997

Tried purging Samba and reinstalling full ubuntu according to altair4: viewtopic.php?t=224391
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM 21.3 Cinnamon; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: can't ping by name; affecting autofs?

Post by altair4 »

I can ping B.local from A but not the other way.
** Is your network complicated? As in multiple routers or access points? mDNS ( the .local part ) cannot traverse a subnet which would result in your symptom. It could also be a firewall issue of course.

** And are you addressing the server with the .local host name or by ip address?
autofs mounts on B take minutes to list directories or fail entirely.
Don't know how to explain that one either. Is this still how you are mounting it:
2bb -fstype=cifs,rw,username=tim,password=newpass,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 ://10.0.0.60/2bb
I don't know where Mint is with all this but you might want to add another option to your list vers=3.0 :
2bb -fstype=cifs,rw,username=tim,password=newpass,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0 ://10.0.0.60/2bb
From the Linux Kernel 4.13 on the default smb dilect is 3.0 but before that it was 1.0. If your kernel is before 4.13 changing the smb dialect to 3 in the cifs mount increases speed and stability. I don't know if that will be enough to resolve this issue but it's worth a shot.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
scrognoid
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scrognoid »

Thanks for the reply.
I fixed it. Just wish I understood what I did.
What I did:
  • add user "guest" to auto.sambashares. I started sharing via Guest and took user, password out of auto.sambashares. Adding 'guest' was a necessary but not sufficient condition.
xpsLinHome -fstype=cifs,rw,guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8 ://xps13.local/xpsLinHome
  • purged and reinstalled everything I could think of: autofs, samba, cifs-utils
That pretty much fixed it. I went a step further and took your advice (viewtopic.php?f=157&t=185410#p960482), using avahi for name resolution on my now all Linux network. I wish there was a GUI for that. I won't think about this stuff again until I get a new computer in three years and I won't remember any of it.

For the record, your questions:
  • simple network: cable modem, two wireless routers.
    addressing by name: xps13.local
    running kernal 4.13.0-37, so I guess I'm using Samba v3.
LM 21.3 Cinnamon; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

scrognoid wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:44 am That pretty much fixed it. I went a step further and took your advice (viewtopic.php?f=157&t=185410#p960482), using avahi for name resolution on my now all Linux network. I wish there was a GUI for that.
Then you are in luck. Unless Mint deviates from it's Ubuntu roots - and there is always that possibility - Mint 19 will "publish" itself to the rest of the network using avahi the moment you install samba. It will do that automatically without the need for an avahi service file. It started with Ubuntu 17.10 and continues with Ubuntu 18.04 which will be the basis for Mint 19.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
scrognoid
Level 4
Level 4

Re: can't ping by name; affecting autofs? [SOLVED]

Post by scrognoid »

Good to know. Thanks.

Return to “Networking”