Screen freezes after VPN connection enabled

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yoanpago

Screen freezes after VPN connection enabled

Post by yoanpago »

Dear all,
I come here to ask for some help about an issue I am facing since few months : I installed Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya (Cinnamon Edition) on my computer 7 months ago. everything was going fine and I was able to set a VPN connection and a Proxy connection. So I had 2 connections that I could enable and disable without any problem.
4 months later, When I started my computer as usual I wanted to enable the VPN connection and when I enable it the computer just freeze. In fact it is not really freezing it becomes just really really slow to respond : the mouse is still available and moving normally with normal speed and normal fluidity, but if I click something to move it or to open it, it starts to take 2minutes to open it.
Fun fact : So before enabling VPN everything is fine, if I click to enable VPN everything lag/freeze, but if I click again to disable VPN, then after 2 minutes of wait VPN is disabled everything come back to normal.
This issue appeared around 3 months ago, I didn't had any problem before.
Any idea where this problem could come from.
For the records: I never experienced such problem in Ubuntu or XUbuntu.

Edit: I recently discover that the same problem happened when I was removing the Ethernet cable from its port behind the computer. Then it starts to freeze also. So weird... Any idea where does it could come from?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Best regards,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Screen freezes after VPN connection enabled

Post by trytip »

run the vpn in terminal it may give you error codes or info also look at .xsession-errors do a quick search for "vpn"
yoanpago

Post by yoanpago »

Hi trytip,
I tried to activate the connection inside Terminal with the following command:

Code: Select all

nmcli con up id MyVPNConnection
The same freeze happened than when I do it throught the interface.

I found 2 .xsession-errors files: (one with this exact name and anoth one named with .xsession-errors.old)

Here is the content of my .xsession-errors (Understand that I modified critical informations I don't want to share publicly) :

openConnection: connect: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
cannot connect to brltty at :0
/usr/bin/im-launch: 6: /usr/share/im-config/data/21_ibus.rc: /usr/bin/ibus-daemon: not found
** Message: couldn't access control socket: /run/user/1000/keyring/control: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
[cinnamon-settings-daemon-smartcard] Failed to start: impossible de trouver un pilote de carte à puce adapté
cinnamon-session[2144]: WARNING: t+0,14365s: Child process 2276 was already dead.
[cinnamon-settings-daemon-smartcard] Failed to start: impossible de trouver un pilote de carte à puce adapté

(process:2498): indicator-sound-WARNING **: volume-control-pulse.vala:744: Unable to connect to dbus server at 'unix:path=/run/user/1000/pulse/dbus-socket': Impossible de se connecter : Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
initctl: UPSTART_SESSION isn't set in the environment. Unable to locate the Upstart instance.

(process:2498): indicator-sound-WARNING **: media-player-list-mpris.vala:66: unable to find application 'spotify.desktop'
27/03/2018 11:58:49 Autoprobing TCP port in (all) network interface
27/03/2018 11:58:49 Listening IPv6://[::]:5900
27/03/2018 11:58:49 Listening IPv4://0.0.0.0:5900
27/03/2018 11:58:49 Autoprobing selected port 5900
27/03/2018 11:58:49 Advertising security type: 'TLS' (18)
27/03/2018 11:58:49 Re-binding socket to listen for VNC connections on TCP port 5900 in (all) interface
27/03/2018 11:58:49 Clearing securityTypes
27/03/2018 11:58:49 Advertising authentication type: 'No Authentication' (1)
27/03/2018 11:58:49 Re-binding socket to listen for VNC connections on TCP port 5900 in (all) interface
27/03/2018 11:58:49 Clearing authTypes
27/03/2018 11:58:49 Advertising authentication type: 'VNC Authentication' (2)
Cjs-Message: JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon
St-Message: cogl npot texture sizes SUPPORTED
Cjs-Message: JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Tue Mar 27 2018 11:58:50 GMT+0200 (CEST)
Cjs-Message: JS LOG: network applet: Cannot find connection for active (or connection cannot be read)
Cjs-Message: JS WARNING: [/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/trash@cinnamon.org/applet.js 37]: Too many arguments to method Gio.File.monitor_directory: expected 2, got 3

(nemo-desktop:2471): IBUS-WARNING **: Unable to connect to ibus: Impossible de se connecter : Connexion refusée
openGL version 3.1 detected (GL3 Cogl Driver)
Cjs-Message: JS LOG: Invalid network device type, is 14
Cjs-Message: JS LOG: network applet: Found connection for active
Cjs-Message: JS WARNING: [/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/trash@cinnamon.org/applet.js 80]: Too many arguments to method Gio.FileEnumerator.next_file: expected 1, got 2

(cinnamon:2451): libnm-glib-WARNING **: async_got_type: could not read properties for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/2: L’interface « org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties » n’existe pas pour l’objet à l’emplacement /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/2

(cinnamon:2451): libnm-glib-WARNING **: async_got_type: could not read properties for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/2: L’interface « org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties » n’existe pas pour l’objet à l’emplacement /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/2

mintUpdate: aucun processus trouvé
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Cinnamon warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x3a00003 (S'authenti)

(gnome-software:2470): As-WARNING **: failed to rescan: Failed to parse /usr/share/applications/mintupdate.desktop.dpkg-new file: cannot process file of type text/plain

(gnome-software:2470): As-WARNING **: failed to rescan: Failed to parse /usr/share/applications/mintupdate.desktop.dpkg-tmp file: cannot process file of type text/plain

(gnome-software:2470): As-WARNING **: failed to rescan: Failed to parse /usr/share/applications/mintupdate-kde.desktop.dpkg-new file: cannot process file of type text/plain

(gnome-software:2470): As-WARNING **: failed to rescan: Failed to parse /usr/share/applications/mintupdate-kde.desktop.dpkg-tmp file: cannot process file of type text/plain

(gnome-software:2470): As-WARNING **: failed to rescan: Failed to parse /usr/share/applications/mintupdate.desktop file: cannot process file of type application/x-desktop

(gnome-software:2470): As-WARNING **: failed to rescan: Failed to parse /usr/share/applications/mintupdate-kde.desktop file: cannot process file of type application/x-desktop

(gnome-software:2470): As-WARNING **: failed to rescan: Failed to parse /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index file: cannot process file of type text/plain
Terminated
Cjs-Message: JS LOG: network applet: Cannot find connection for active (or connection cannot be read)

(nm-applet:2474): Gtk-WARNING **: Can't set a parent on widget which has a parent

(nm-applet:2474): Gtk-WARNING **: Can't set a parent on widget which has a parent

(nm-applet:2474): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(nm-applet:2474): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(nm-applet:2474): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy

Cinnamon warning: last_user_time (1107810) is greater than comparison timestamp (1044504).  This most likely represents a buggy client sending inaccurate timestamps in messages such as _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW.  Trying to work around...
Cinnamon warning: 0x6a00006 (usernm@usernm) appears to be one of the offending windows with a timestamp of 1107810.  Working around...

(mintUpdate.py:7789): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_event_set_source_device: assertion 'GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

(mintUpdate.py:7789): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_device_get_device_type: assertion 'GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

(mintUpdate.py:7789): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_device_list_slave_devices: assertion 'GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

(mintUpdate.py:7789): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_device_get_n_axes: assertion 'GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

(mintUpdate.py:7789): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_event_set_source_device: assertion 'GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

(cinnamon:2451): St-CRITICAL **: setup_framebuffers: assertion 'priv->old_offscreen != COGL_INVALID_HANDLE' failed

(cinnamon:2451): St-CRITICAL **: setup_framebuffers: assertion 'priv->old_offscreen != COGL_INVALID_HANDLE' failed

Cjs-Message: JS LOG: Invalid or null signal handler id used when attempting to .disconnect from an object.
== Stack trace for context 0x55a9e33fd020 ==
overrideGObject/GObject.Object.prototype.disconnect@/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/overrides.js:101:13
MyApplet.prototype._syncActiveConnections@/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/network@cinnamon.org/applet.js:1942:17
MyApplet.prototype._updateIcon@/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/network@cinnamon.org/applet.js:2180:13

Cjs-Message: JS LOG: Removing a network device that was not added
Cjs-Message: JS LOG: Removing a network device that was not added
Cinnamon warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x5e00084 (*.xsession)
Thank you again for your help
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

delete your connection and make it again, have you tried that. also when you run in terminal you don't get any information?
yoanpago

Post by yoanpago »

So I just delete it, then recreate it.
Problem is still the same.
I double checked if the command

nmcli con up id MyVPNConnection
was returning any error: it is not the case, no error is displayed in the terminal.
yoanpago

Post by yoanpago »

A bit of help from anyone, would be great.
Thank you very much !

Return to “Networking”