[Solved] Unable to mount NAS from Mint

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaveHarper
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Unable to mount NAS from Mint

Post by DaveHarper »

I've installed Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on a new PC and am in the process of configuring all the things that I used to do on an old Windows 7 system. I have a Buffalo TS1400D NAS that is used for backups on several systems on my LAN, many of which are Raspberry Pi systems. I can mount an NAS share from a Pi with no problems using the command (for example):
sudo mount -o nolock 192.168.0.99:/mnt/array1/Mailbox /mnt/NAS/Mailbox
Now I need to mount that share from the Mint system and have been following the instructions in the thread viewtopic.php?f=157&t=256011#p1380467. However, what happens is:
sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.99/mnt/array1/Mailbox /mnt/NAS/Mailbox -o credentials=/home/dave/.creds,uid=1000,gid=1000
Retrying with upper case share name
mount error(6): No such device or address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

If I open a nemo window, I can see the NAS under the Network section and can open the Mailbox share and see the files with no problems. The error message "No such device or address" would indicate something wrong in the device specification yet the man page indicates that the format is correct and obviously the IP and share values are correct. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Unable to mount NAS from Mint

Post by altair4 »

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.99/mnt/array1/Mailbox
CIFS will look for a server with the address of 192.168.0.99 which has a samba share labelled mnt. The path to the mnt share will defined in the samba share definition on the NAS. The /array/Mailbox part would be interpreted as an internal path under the mnt share.

Are you sure /mnt/array1/Mailbox is rather the internal path to the shared folder?

Maybe you created the share at Mailbox in which case the mount would look like this:

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.99/Mailbox /mnt/NAS/Mailbox -o credentials=/home/dave/.creds,uid=1000,gid=1000
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
DaveHarper
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to mount NAS from Mint

Post by DaveHarper »

altair4 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:41 am Are you sure /mnt/array1/Mailbox is rather the internal path to the shared folder?

Maybe you created the share at Mailbox in which case the mount would look like this:

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.99/Mailbox /mnt/NAS/Mailbox -o credentials=/home/dave/.creds,uid=1000,gid=1000
I used /mnt/array1/Mailbox because that was what the Buffalo NAS setup screen said to use when I created the share (and was what worked from the Raspberry Pi). However, I just tried your suggestion above and it mounted immediately. I never would have thought of that. Many thanks.

Return to “Networking”