Sharing with Win10

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amphib
Level 2
Level 2

Sharing with Win10

Post by amphib »

I want to move several hundred photos from my Mint 18.3 machine to my windows 10 machine. The easiest way would be to share between systems. How do I go about that? I tried from the windows end with no luck.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Sharing with Win10

Post by MrEen »

I think this is what you might want: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23169
amphib
Level 2
Level 2

Post by amphib »

No, that doesn't work for me.
I see that there is a Windows Network folder under Network in my Files. However, when I open it I get the message, "Failed to retrieve share list from server: No such file or directory". Where do I go from here?
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

amphib wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:20 am No, that doesn't work for me.
I see that there is a Windows Network folder under Network in my Files. However, when I open it I get the message, "Failed to retrieve share list from server: No such file or directory". Where do I go from here?
Try this.
First check if it is installed the ntfs-3g, if not install it.
Then the below command where sdxx your windows partition you find it, with

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
Then

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdxx
Now you can mount and share your windows files if everything is OK.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I want to move several hundred photos from my Mint 18.3 machine to my windows 10 machine.
amphib wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:20 am No, that doesn't work for me.
You are going the wrong way. Don't push the files from Linux to Windows. Pull the files from Linux to Windows.

** Create a share of the folder in Mint that has the stuff you want to transfer to Windows.

** Find the exact host name of your Mint box:

hostname
** On Win10 access the Linux box with that host name and a .local attached at the end:

\\hostname.local
Worst case access it by it's ip address.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
amphib
Level 2
Level 2

Post by amphib »

I am not sure you guys realize these are totally separate machines, with single OS's on each. Do these methods still apply? They are networked wirelessly.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Yes we do realise that they are separate machines. I've been working though this on my home network over the last week.

Set up you file shares on the linux machine and, all being well, the Windows box will see them when you log into the network. and then it's just a case of drag and drop. I cna see my linux shares from the computer I'm currently on (grand daughter's Windows 10) just by clicking on the network icon in Windows Explorer.

Do you need help to set up shares under linux. It's not much different to windows, you just might need to change some permissions to do so. Linux may tell you that it needs to install Samba, let it.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I'm going to try this one more time now that I have looked at your other posts on the forum:

ON THE MINT MACHINE
==============
If you haven't already done so install samba:

sudo apt install samba
Now edit the config file:

gksu xed /etc/samba/smb.conf
Right under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line add these three lines:

netbios name = erndogSatC655
name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
force user = erndog
Save the file then restart samba - in this order

sudo service smbd restart

sudo service nmbd restart
Now open nemo - your file manager and:
Right click say your Public folder > Sharing Options > Turn on Share this Folder and select the other two boxes and Create Share.

ON THE WIN10 MACHINE
===============

You should be able to access the Mint machine two different ways:

** The old Windows way ( netbios ) ... through Network in Explorer the Mint machine will show up as erndogSatC655 and under that should be the Public share.

** Or the new Win10 way ( mDNS ) .... In explorer enter:

\\erndog-Satellite-C655.local

Accessing a Windows share from Mint can be more difficult because we would need to determine if:

** You actually created a share somewhere on Win10 and are not using a HomeGroup.
** Your Win10 machine has disabled SMB1 which would make accessing it through the file manager impossible without adjustments.

This is why I suggested creating the share on Mint and accessing it from Windows instead of the other way around.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
hartstephen

Post by hartstephen »

My goal was to transfer files from my WIn10 computer to my Linux mint 18.3 computer.
I setup a shared folder on my Linux Mint 18.3 computer with all the permissions that the dialogue screen would give and then 'create share'.
Put whatever you want to share with the Win10 computer in this folder.

On the Linux machine open Terminal and type 'ifconfig'. Note the inet addr. Mine starts with 192.168.xx.xx. I put the x's in. yours would be different.

On the Win10 cptr go to WIndows Explorer and go to This PC and type \\192.168.xx.xx.

I am able to go back and forth between machines moving files.

I hope this was clear enough for you to follow. I have been working on this for weeks following all sorts of tutorials using samba, configuring conf files, and all sorts of hops to jump through without success. Using the ip address of the Linux cptr in Win10 file manager proved the easiest and the best.

Return to “Networking”