NTFS Permission Problem copying folders from Mint 18.3 to Windows Server 2008 R2

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shelby67

NTFS Permission Problem copying folders from Mint 18.3 to Windows Server 2008 R2

Post by shelby67 »

I'm having a problem copying folders with files from a Mint 18.3 x64 Cinnamon computer to a Windows Server 2008 R2 server. After the folder/file copy the Folder security properties in NTFS are not available and no other user can access the folder or delete it. Only that user can delete it.
The computers discussed are not joined to the domain.
The server is being access by clicking on the computer icon and selecting file/connect to server…
Here are the scenarios that I have verified.

Computer 1 / User 1 is the problem child. When he copies a Folder with files in it to the server the folder has bad permissions. If he creates a folder on the server from scratch the permissions are fine. It’s something to do with the copy.
Computer 2 / User 2 works as planned.
Computer 3 / User 1 works as planned.

The problems appear to be tied to Computer 1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: NTFS Permission Problem copying folders from Mint 18.3 to Windows Server 2008 R2

Post by Pierre »

both operating systems generally don't recognize file permissions from the other system.
- so in both cases,, you may need Administrator / Root permission to access those copied files & folders.
this would also apply when accessing files & folders On the Same Machine, but with a Different User.

to bypass this issue on your Linux System, you would need to run a File Manager program,
such as Nemo or Gnome-commander - - as Root.
- then you should be able to manipulate those files & folders.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
shelby67

Re: NTFS Permission Problem copying folders from Mint 18.3 to Windows Server 2008 R2

Post by shelby67 »

Pierre wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:48 pm both operating systems generally don't recognize file permissions from the other system.
- so in both cases,, you may need Administrator / Root permission to access those copied files & folders.
this would also apply when accessing files & folders On the Same Machine, but with a Different User.
I think I should have been more clear. All 3 computers mentioned have the exact same version of Linux installed. User 1 functions as it should when accessing the server from Computer 3 that's why it seems that something is wonky with Computer 1. The NTFS permissions are fine when the folder copy is done via Computers 2 and 3.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

User 1 functions as it should when accessing the server from Computer 3 that's why it seems that something is wonky with Computer 1
that's still going to be an User permissions issue . .

you could try - Menu - Administration - Users & Groups

since the User is on Two PCs, then you can open both PCs Users & Groups at the same time, to compare the User, on each machine,,
and the appropriate permissions of each User on that machine- - there has to be some difference between them.
- particularly if that User is the 2nd User on Computer 3 - - is that correct ?

either way, do look carefully at the User's Profile,, on each machine, for any difference(s),, as this may still be the principle issue, here.
- - look for any differences in the Groups,, that the User has permission for, on Both PCs.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
shelby67

Post by shelby67 »

Pierre wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:29 pm
User 1 functions as it should when accessing the server from Computer 3 that's why it seems that something is wonky with Computer 1
that's still going to be an User permissions issue . .

you could try - Menu - Administration - Users & Groups

since the User is on Two PCs, then you can open both PCs Users & Groups at the same time, to compare the User, on each machine,,
and the appropriate permissions of each User on that machine- - there has to be some difference between them.
- particularly if that User is the 2nd User on Computer 3 - - is that correct ?

either way, do look carefully at the User's Profile,, on each machine, for any difference(s),, as this may still be the principle issue, here.
When I say User 1 I was referring to the domain credentials. The local user name is different for Computer 1 and Computer 3. I can create a new local user for Computer 3 that matches User 1.
shelby67

Post by shelby67 »

After more testing and working with the user I found out he had not installed all the available updates on the computer. I had him do that and reboot and it appears that solved the problem.

Thanks again with fingers crossed.

Return to “Networking”