slow write speed to nas smb shares

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnpoz

slow write speed to nas smb shares

Post by johnpoz »

So I am trying to move to mint as main OS.. About there but running into problem with speed copy files to my nas. Synology ds918+ run 6.2 beta.

So I have mounted my share since browsing seems broken.. using smb3

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.9.10/share /home/johnpoz/nas/share -o username=johnpoz,vers=3

And when I copy large file from nas to my machine running mint 18.3 I get max speed 113MBps.. Screams down.. But when I try and put a file on the share from my PC max I get is 14MBps..

Testing with iperf3 to nas I am seeing 880Mbps..

I move a lot of files back and forth between my workstation and nas.. So such bottleneck on write would be a show stopper and force me to move back to windows.. Which really looking to avoid..

When I boot same machine to windows 2012r2 I max out both read and write from the nas.. So I take it just something odd in my samba config? It is default out of the box config other than adding client max protocol = SMB3 to it.

Google was very helpful in figuring out issue with trying to just browse to it, since I have smb1 disabled on the nas.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: slow write speed to nas smb shares

Post by altair4 »

So I take it just something odd in my samba config? It is default out of the box config other than adding client max protocol = SMB3 to it.
I don't think I can help you but I would like to point out that mount.cifs is controlled by the Linux kernel not smb.conf. CIFS doesn't even know smb.conf exists.

You might want to look at the output of man mount.cifs and google concerning the cache option. I often see folks add cache=loose to their mount options to improve speed. But look at the warning under CACHE COHERENCY in the man output to see if it applies to your situation or if you are comfortable using it. I have never used it myself.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
johnpoz

Post by johnpoz »

Thanks... when looking at the mount I see this...

//192.168.9.10/share on /home/johnpoz/nas/share type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=3,cache=strict,username=johnpoz,domain=,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.9.10,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1)

So clearly its using vers=3

But nice to know that smb.conf is not being used.. Hmmm have to look more into it.

I did find a work around, I fired up NFS and bam!! full write speed.. Move 2.7GB file so fast the little stupid file copy gui didn't have time to show how fast it was going ;)

did a dd to the mount and showing 106MBps... So I can live with NFS ;)

Maybe the client is only using smbV1 on the write?? but I thought kern 4.13 was suppose to set v3 as default.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

So clearly its using vers=3
It's using smb3 because you told it to use smb3:
sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.9.10/share /home/johnpoz/nas/share -o username=johnpoz,vers=3
And you are right if you use Kernel 4.13 it sets the version to 3 by default even without the vers=3 setting.

Anyhoo, you found another solution.

EDIT: If you are in a charitable mood you might want to show how you used NFS so that others can benefit.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
johnpoz

Post by johnpoz »

Its a simple mount with nfs.

Not sure why nfs not part of default install of mint?

apt-get install nfs-common

in fstab set up so users can mount

192.168.9.10:/volume1/share /home/johnoz/nas/nfs nfs rw,noauto,user 0 0

You will have to view your nfs shares on your server - dsm doesn't make it real obvious but it is listed when you edit your nfs permissions on your file shares at the bottom but I just ssh to it and use showmount -e
sh-4.3# showmount -e
Export list for nas:
/volume1/share 192.168.9.0/24
/volume1/Plex 192.168.9.0/24

Then on my mint box
johnpoz@i5-mint ~/nas $ mount /home/johnpoz/nas/nfs

Be more than happy to give more details on how to do that.. I have been working with linux for years, but finally making the move to using it day to day for real and removing all the windows anything and never really had to do much with samba it just worked ;) So this sort of thing is odd, but I can work on it in the background as long as I have a way to move my files at normal speeds, etc.

Return to “Networking”