Configure Cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.1 <SOLVED>

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vliscony
Level 3
Level 3

Configure Cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.1 <SOLVED>

Post by vliscony »

Unable to make sense of these directions:

https://1.1.1.1

It looks a bit different in Mint...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kernel: 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Cinnamon 20.3, Una, ZaReason Valta xi991, Intel Core i-7 6 core, 64 GB RAM; Radeon RX480 8GB; SSD 500 GB; HD 2x 2TB/8GB cache; CD/DVD RW, Blu-ray/DVD/CD burner; Card reader; HP Officejet Pro 9025
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Configure Cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.1

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here and title clarified.

If I go to https://1.1.1.1/ it has the instructions for Linux. What part isn't clear to you? Open your Network Settings, edit your network connection, got to IPv4 and disable automatic DNS and set 1.1.1.1 (and optionally 1.0.0.1 as backup) as your DNS server. Do the same for IPv6 if you have that and set DNS server to 2606:4700:4700::1111 (and 2606:4700:4700::1001 as backup).

Network Settings may look different from one edition of Linux Mint to another. If you still can't figure it out you should detail which version (e.g., 18.3) and edition (Cinnamon, KDE, MATE, or Xfce) you're using so people can give more detailed instructions.

You may alternatively just want to configure the DNS on the router from your ISP. That way all the devices in your home will use Cloudflare DNS without need to configure any of them individually.
YellowJersey

Post by YellowJersey »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:20 pm Moved here and title clarified.

If I go to https://1.1.1.1/ it has the instructions for Linux. What part isn't clear to you? Open your Network Settings, edit your network connection, got to IPv4 and disable automatic DNS and set 1.1.1.1 (and optionally 1.0.0.1 as backup) as your DNS server. Do the same for IPv6 if you have that and set DNS server to 2606:4700:4700::1111 (and 2606:4700:4700::1001 as backup).

Network Settings may look different from one edition of Linux Mint to another. If you still can't figure it out you should detail which version (e.g., 18.3) and edition (Cinnamon, KDE, MATE, or Xfce) you're using so people can give more detailed instructions.

You may alternatively just want to configure the DNS on the router from your ISP. That way all the devices in your home will use Cloudflare DNS without need to configure any of them individually.
I'm having trouble with this as well. I'm running 17.3 MATE. I've got the IPv4 part done, but it won't let me save the IPv6 configuration as the "save" button is greyed out. I've attached a screenshot of the Network Settings box
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

YellowJersey wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:33 pm I've attached a screenshot of the Network Settings box
Hello YellowJersey Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

If you attached a screenshot, it's well hidden :wink:
YellowJersey

Post by YellowJersey »

WharfRat wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:20 pm
YellowJersey wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:33 pm I've attached a screenshot of the Network Settings box
Hello YellowJersey Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

If you attached a screenshot, it's well hidden :wink:
Thanks!

Huh, odd. Let's try this again.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

many users get this wrong.
the correct format is this you need to separate primary and secondary with a comma and a space
1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1

2606:4700:4700::1111, 2606:4700:4700::1001
but after reading the privacy policy this sounds like they will transfer data to providers even though they say they don't
All information collected by Cloudflare, no matter whether such information is part of Cloudflare’s temporary or permanent logs, will be cleansed of any personally identifiable data (including IP addresses). Additionally information that is stored as part of Cloudflare’s permanent logs will be further anonymize

Cloudflare has partnered with APNIC, the regional internet registry for the Asia-Pacific region to make the 1.1.1.1 IP address the home of the Cloudflare Resolver

Cloudflare has agreed to provide APNIC with access to some of the data that Cloudflare collects through the Cloudflare Resolver.
https://developers.cloudflare.com/1.1.1 ... cy-policy/
mikser
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Configure Cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.1 <SOLVED>

Post by mikser »

Doesn't help. The IPv6 is still grayed out regardless of what and how I try to write the address.

Similar thing happens with IPv4 as well - it allows to save one address, but the confirmation button is also disabled as soon as I try to write the second address.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.
redlined

Post by redlined »

mikser wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:34 am Doesn't help. The IPv6 is still grayed out regardless of what and how I try to write the address.

Similar thing happens with IPv4 as well - it allows to save one address, but the confirmation button is also disabled as soon as I try to write the second address.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.
hi mikser!

Look again closely at the screenshot(s) from trytip. (YellowJersey's pic shows that input the info into the wrong place)..

in both IPv4 and v6 (if used) make sure you use the drop down list for Method to select: "Automatic, addresses only"
then in DNS servers copy/paste trytip's two inline code displayed answers for IPv4 and v6 respectively or type in the DNS you want into blank DNS servers: box.

note, this will need to be done for each connection type in NM (e.g. edit connections for each- ethernet, wifi, and vpn if desired, understanding the info only works on the connection you specifically set it on)

hope this helps!
mikser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikser »

Thank you redlined for trying to help. Unfortunately your tips didn't help - I was really careful before and tried all kinds of combinations. They just didn't work.

But the good news is that the interface and everything else started magically working after I restarted my computer. That was a strange one!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

the tips did work...a reboot is "required" in order to take effect is all.
mikser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikser »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:08 am the tips did work...a reboot is "required" in order to take effect is all.
You misunderstood. My problem wasn't with DNS settings not working (I am fully aware that one needs a restart for that), but with the Linux Mint Cinnamon interface, which wasn't allowing me to put in IPv6 addresses and save them. After the restart, the interface started working properly and I was allowed to write in the required IPv6 DNS addresses.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it would be interesting to compare Cloudflare with OpenDNS to see if there is any differences.
- and what is each, one getting, from you using their 'service'.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi pierre...ive used both as well as quad 9...at least here in the U.S. cloudflare "smoked" the other 2...instantaneous connections.
mikser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikser »

Pierre wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:25 am it would be interesting to compare Cloudflare with OpenDNS to see if there is any differences.
https://www.dnsperf.com/#!dns-resolvers
redlined

Post by redlined »

Pierre wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:25 am it would be interesting to compare Cloudflare with OpenDNS to see if there is any differences.
hi Pierre!
I never liked OpenDNS, basically a trust thing, filtering and redirects to custom error pages mostly (even though I used google's public DNS, which was always much faster for me, with the bad side of knowing they sell everything :roll:

going back to OpenDNS website just now I was still not impressed.. I pay attention to what NoScript blocks and when I see doubleclick and googleadservices I no longer have to wonder how OpenDNS makes (at least some of) their money... I also see they were purchased by Cisco recently so checked the OpenDNS privacy policy- which is now a link to Cisco privacy policy, in which they are clear that they collect info and combine info collected with that of info collected by third parties and other sources. and no mention of any data deletion (just busy making that big info pie in the sky)
Cisco privacy policy wrote:We and the third parties we engage may combine the information we collect from you over time and across our websites and Solutions with information obtained from other sources. This helps us improve its overall accuracy and completeness, and also helps us better tailor our interactions with you
the Cloudflare offering at 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 is one I've been using since they launched it this past April Fool's day (once I firgured it wasn't a joke, lol). I was impressed with their assurance on data handling, including the agreement to shared anonamized info with
and although new (not had first year audit yet) I do place some trust in their promise:
Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 website wrote:Privacy First: Guaranteed.
We will never sell your data or use it to target ads. Period.
We will never log your IP address (the way other companies identify you). And we’re not just saying that. We’ve retained KPMG to audit our systems annually to ensure that we're doing what we say.
Frankly, we don’t want to know what you do on the Internet—it’s none of our business—and we’ve taken the technical steps to ensure we can’t.
and from the announcement, on their blog:
We began talking with browser manufacturers about what they would want from a DNS resolver. One word kept coming up: privacy. Beyond just a commitment not to use browsing data to help target ads, they wanted to make sure we would wipe all transaction logs within a week. That was an easy request. In fact, we knew we could go much further. We committed to never writing the querying IP addresses to disk and wiping all logs within 24 hours.
Cloudflare's business has never been built around tracking users or selling advertising. We don't see personal data as an asset; we see it as a toxic asset. While we need some logging to prevent abuse and debug issues, we couldn't imagine any situation where we'd need that information longer than 24 hours. And we wanted to put our money where our mouth was, so we committed to retaining KPMG, the well-respected auditing firm, to audit our practices annually and publish a public report confirming we're doing what we said we would.
even their agreement with APNIC sounds above-board to me:
from Cloudflare blog wrote:APNIC's research group held the IP addresses 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. While the addresses were valid, so many people had entered them into various random systems that they were continuously overwhelmed by a flood of garbage traffic. APNIC wanted to study this garbage traffic but any time they'd tried to announce the IPs, the flood would overwhelm any conventional network.

We talked to the APNIC team about how we wanted to create a privacy-first, extremely fast DNS system. They thought it was a laudable goal. We offered Cloudflare's network to receive and study the garbage traffic in exchange for being able to offer a DNS resolver on the memorable IPs. And, with that, 1.1.1.1 was born.
even if privacy is not a concern I feel the speed and reliability push Cloudflare to the "most preferred" lead of the public DNS offers out there.

edit to add: Cloadflare Privacy policy (the above blog excerpts are reflected in the straight-forward sounding policy)

Return to “Networking”