Windows computers can see Linux Mint but Mint can't see ANYTHING on network...

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alamal

Windows computers can see Linux Mint but Mint can't see ANYTHING on network...

Post by alamal »

I installed Mint 18.3 and then someone mentioned installing 18 as it was more network friendly but to no avail. I've installed Samba.
I've scoured the internet and these forums but nothing.
I am as new as new can get.
I can see Mint on my other Windows pc's but on the Mint computer I can't see anything on the network including another Mint computer. None of the Mint pc's can see anything. What am I missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Windows computers can see Linux Mint but Mint can't see ANYTHING on network...

Post by altair4 »

Go through the checklist first please: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist

And this isn't the Ubuntu forum so please tell people what desktop environment you are running: Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE, or the other one...
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Windows computers can see Linux Mint but Mint can't see ANYTHING on network...

Post by Spearmint2 »

Open your file manager, put this in the URL or location line to see if it will work.

network:///
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
alamal

Post by alamal »

When I type in network:///, all that pops up is Windows Network. I click on that and nothing.
alamal

Post by alamal »

In reply to altair's post.
All the programs are starting up.
The hostname is less than 15.
I'm running Cinnamon.
Not sure about Name Resolution but here's what I get:
petey@LinuxMint ~ $ name resolve order=Imhosts wins host bcast
No command 'name' found, did you mean:
Command 'nama' from package 'nama' (universe)
Command 'named' from package 'bind9' (main)
Command 'lame' from package 'lame' (universe)
Command 'mame' from package 'mame' (multiverse)
Command 'nam' from package 'nam' (universe)
Command 'namei' from package 'util-linux' (main)
Command 'uname' from package 'coreutils' (main)
Command 'nvme' from package 'nvme-cli' (universe)
name: command not found

The firewall is off.
NMAP RESULTS:
Starting Nmap 7.01 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2018-04-03 05:45 CDT
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.104
Host is up (0.000013s latency).
Not shown: 1992 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
445/tcp open microsoft-ds
68/udp open|filtered dhcpc
123/udp open ntp
137/udp open netbios-ns
138/udp open|filtered netbios-dgm
631/udp open|filtered ipp
5353/udp open|filtered zeroconf

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 4.19 seconds

Did 5c
Did 6
alamal

Post by alamal »

Weeeeeeeell, I screwed something up as now, when I rebooted, I lost the NETWORK listing in the file manager.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

petey@LinuxMint ~ $ name resolve order=Imhosts wins host bcast
No command 'name' found, did you mean:
name resolve order isn't a command you run in a terminal. It is what you have to add to /etc/samba/smb.conf under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line. And it isn't lmhosts wins host bcast. Please look at the howto.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
alamal

Post by alamal »

I TOLD you I was a newbie! :) :D
alamal

Post by alamal »

So now what do I do?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Are you talking about this:
alamal wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:04 am Weeeeeeeell, I screwed something up as now, when I rebooted, I lost the NETWORK listing in the file manager.
Do you mean you have no Network link on the side panel of Nemo? And I'm assuming you are using Mint Cinnamon?

I don't even know what I would have to do to remove it so try opening a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

nemo network:///
BTW, based on the nmap output you have no other machines in your network except one and it appears to be you.
alamal

Post by alamal »

I can type in network:/// into the address bar without terminal and get Windows Network. Once I click on that it shows nothing.

You only see ONE machine on NMAP and THAT IS my problem! I actually have THREE more on the network that CAN'T be seen by my two Linux machines.
Now, the only machine that can see my Linux machine is my Win10. The other two Win machines can't see the Linux machine.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Then this isn't a samba issue ... well ... let's say it is more than a samba issue. It's a networking issue. Samba depends on the network.

It almost sounds like your linux machine is in a subnet of the other machines. That will happen if you have multiple routers in place or some other convoluted network setup.

See if you can ping any of the other machines by their ip address:

Code: Select all

ping -c3 192.168.0.100
Change 192.168.0.100 to the ip address of the machine you want to connect to.
alamal

Post by alamal »

Could a switch cause this?
This is how it's setup...Modem to router to switch. I've never had a problem with any Win machines.
In the meantime I'll ping the others.

Return to “Networking”