Chnage DNS Mint 18.3

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TekNoMad

Chnage DNS Mint 18.3

Post by TekNoMad »

I am completely baffled as to how to change the primary DNS in Mint 18.3 and remove the Original one issued by my ISP. I've changed it in /etc/reslov.conf and every other directory and config file i could possibly find through searches. Made the files immutable, tried changing in the router itself. I've managed to get new DNS listed but only as the 3rd and forth but nothing overides the original 192.168.0.1 and it still shows in the primary.
At this point I'm not even sure which file actually added my preferred DNS to the entries but My primary still remains unchanged. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not sure why it's not a simple change from the network manager in the first place? Why make it so convoluted and hidden???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: Chnage DNS Mint 18.3

Post by Mattyboy »

TekNoMad wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:38 pm I am completely baffled as to how to change the primary DNS in Mint 18.3
Click your desktop network manager icon.
Select Network connections
Highlight either the Ethernet or WiFi connection and click edit.
Click IPv4 Settings
Enter your preferred DNS service numbers into the boxes.

For example openDNS

Click save and restart your network manager. Done.

Is your local IP address, not a DNS service.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Mattyboy wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Is your local IP address, not a DNS service.
Or potentially the router/modem IP address and the router/modem has ISP set DNS providers.

If you have a multidevice household and the router settings allow you to do so it is often more straightforward to change the DNS settings on the router rather than on a device by device basis.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

smurphos wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:23 am ...

If you have a multidevice household and the router settings allow you to do so it is often more straightforward to change the DNS settings on the router rather than on a device by device basis.
This sounds like a GOOD ANSWER. Most of us do have a multidevice household (cpu, phone, tablet, TV and soon our appliances)! :!:
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
TekNoMad

Post by TekNoMad »

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeh, I'm gonna try just the isp router itself as Mint 18.3 doesn't list a prefered DNS in the network manager. Just "additional DNS" Seems odd that you can only add additional DNS but not change the preferred. I added them in the network manager and it just lists them as position 3 and 4. But no option to change preferred. But I appreciate the quick responses. Hopefully I'll have luck with just the router itself.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI tekNoMad,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It is a great idea for everyone to change their local ISP's default DNS server IP addresses to those from a safe, secure, and anonymous DNS provider, like "dns.watch", new "Cloudflare", "opennic", "OpenDNS", etc...

It is really easy to change them from your Linux Mint desktops and other devices. If you change them in the hardware router, all devices that connect to it will automatically use them without having to change each device manually, which is especially handy if you have smart children that you do not want going to certain websites but know how to change the DNS entries on their computers and devices (router is password protected). Do not forget to restart computers and other devices for changes to take effect.

I just change my computer desktops. The Links below from "openDNS" and "Cloudflare" have simple instructions on how to change your local ISP's default DNS server IP addresses for your computers, hardware routers, and devices. You can use "openDNS" entries (family safe, or regular non-censored) or any other DNS provider you want. FYI: If you change the router's default DNS server IP addresses to "family safe" ones, then any adults and their computers and devices will also be restricted from accessing certain websites (unless you "bridge" a 2nd router to the main router with its own login with family safe DNS for the children). There are also many posts on doing this in this forum as well.

Setup Guide | OpenDNS - click routers for routers, or click computer workstations and laptops and look for Linux Mint.
https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/

Cloudflare DNS with instructions
1.1.1.1 — the Internet’s Fastest, Privacy-First DNS Resolver
https://1.1.1.1/

IPv4 DNS Entries: 1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1

IPv6 DNS Entries: 2606:4700:4700::1111,2606:4700:4700::1001

Hope this helps ...
Cloudflare_DNS_IPv4.jpg
Cloudflare_DNS_IPv6.jpg
Cinnamon183_Local_ISP_DNS_Server_changes1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

to see your current DNS? check here standard test https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ <<< is your DNS the one you want? and don't edit the resolv.conf change your DNS from the network tray
right click on net icon > edit connections > select your wifi or wlan > ipv4 settings > method (automatic (DHCP) address only > DNS servers > and enter your dns in this format 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220 >save if you need to enter ipv6 dns use the same method

is your connection shows 192.168.0.1 but DNS is 208.67.222.222 or whatever you use ?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if you have just a few machines, then you can change the settings for each machine,
but if you have several machines, then it would pay to change the router settings instead.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Networking”