[SOLVED]VLAN Support over Ethernet and or Wireless

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Askey307

[SOLVED]VLAN Support over Ethernet and or Wireless

Post by Askey307 »

Good Morning Guys

I would like to know if it's possible to configure Linux machines with a VLAN only. I'm busy setting up a a office environment for 70+ employees and the boss is also a Linux fanatic and he also makes use of Mint. He wants separate VLAN's. So a VLAN for each department.

Can I configure on each PC that let's say PC1 only connects via VLAN 10 and PC2 only VLAN 20?

I don't see anything about VLAN's on the network interface. Is there a package i need to download or is it still hardware restricted and thus I will need a USB to Ethernet converter for each PC to support VLAN's?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: VLAN Support over Ethernet and or Wireless

Post by catweazel »

Askey307 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:17 am I don't see anything about VLAN's on the network interface. Is there a package i need to download or is it still hardware restricted and thus I will need a USB to Ethernet converter for each PC to support VLAN's?
You may find this enlightening.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Askey307

Post by Askey307 »

catweazel wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:27 am
Askey307 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:17 am I don't see anything about VLAN's on the network interface. Is there a package i need to download or is it still hardware restricted and thus I will need a USB to Ethernet converter for each PC to support VLAN's?
You may find this enlightening.
This is freaking awesome. Thank you. however it is for Arch but i guess the principle stays the same?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Askey307 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:45 am This is freaking awesome. Thank you.
You're most welcome.
however it is for Arch but i guess the principle stays the same?
The same principles apply.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Networking”