<SOLVED ITSELF> Modem connected to router drops connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WharfRat

Re: Modem connected to router drops connection

Post by WharfRat »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:45 pm ok...the snr looks ok to me thus far...something else to maybe look at...are you on a static or dynamic WAN connection type?...if anything has changed with your ISP lately, it would have also possibly changed your IP. address..if you were on static, rather than dynamic, then your router will not respond to the change...that control would be found in your router not the modem...DAMIEN
The router has been set to Automatic Configuration - DHCP from day one.

Never had a static although I do set static LAN addresses for connectivity purposes.

On this computer I had to change the wired connection in Network Manager to DHCP in order to connect directly to the modem.

No interruptions when connected directly to the modem and two other computers attached to the router can scp large files without any failures.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

greerd wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:57 pm Are you running stock firmware on the WRT1900 or something like OpenWRT/LEDE ? Either way you should be able to ping the Netgear directly from the WRT, I think its in the trouble shooting section of the stock firmware.

Also, can you communicate with another computer, both connected to the WRT switch?
Firmware is stock and yes, I have two other computers connected and I'm able to scp files back and forth.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi WharfRat...im sorry to say im out of ideas...im hoping someone will be able to help you with better knowledge than ive been able to come up with...DAMIEN
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:06 pm hi WharfRat...im sorry to say im out of ideas...im hoping someone will be able to help you with better knowledge than ive been able to come up with...DAMIEN
Yea, join the out of ideas club :D

Thanks for trying though - it's greatly appreciated and all anyone can do :wink:
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

if i have any other "bright" ideas...lol...i will be sure to pass them on to you before they die of loneliness in my fat little skull...DAMIEN
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

I'm just about out too, I see from the Linksys forum your not alone. One 'solution' was to save your settings and do a hard reset. Maybe download a newer firmware version or try LEDE. I'm running LEDE 17.01.4 (openWRT) on my WRT3200 without issues (yet), the 3200 is pretty much the same as the 1900. I suppose you're out of warranty?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

one more "bright" idea...im sure you probably already tried it but heres my best shot at it...have you shutdown computer and unplugged the modem and router while depressing that little pin hole thingy in both devices for at least 10 seconds etc. etc. etc. so they can do a hard core back to basics reset of both devices and then wait a while before plugging them back in to startup again and see if they dont re-acquire each other and give each other a hug?...i know this is basic room 101 networking etc. but how many of us have always forgotten to do that first rather than looking for more difficult problems?...i know i have...lol...DAMIEN
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

WharfRat wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:35 pm This machine is running 4.4.0-119-generic and the other which I just did a clean install over the weekend is at 4.13.0-38.

Is there another OS besides Linux :?:
Ok, I see..... :wink:
Confirmed that other devices lose internet connectivity?
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but it appears to be back to normal :?

I didn't do anything beyond my last post here except curse a lot and kept an eye on until ! $x;do inxi -i|grep WAN;sleep 3;done

All of a sudden the corruption stopped.

Another interesting thing is the modem connection difference.
NETGEAR Gateway CM6002(1).jpg
In the last screen shot those numbers were all zero, so I'm thinking it was the provider.

And thanks to all who responded to try and help - I appreciate it :D
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

glad to hear it...there should be a "clear counters" button on that to set them all back to zeros so you can keep tabs on things for future reference...they should populate fairly often, mostly for the "correctables" and a little less on the uncorrectables but you will be able to keep tabs on it that way...they should never always say zero at all times..DAMIEN
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

Then it would be coincidence that when connecting directly to modem worked?
Hmm.....
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Pippin wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:10 pm Then it would be coincidence that when connecting directly to modem worked?
Hmm.....
I dunno - just strange.

Since it's still working I marked this topic as <SOLVED ITSELF> since nothing was really done to fix it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: <SOLVED ITSELF> Modem connected to router drops connection

Post by Cosmo. »

"Solved itself" enhances my suspicion about an issue on ISP side.
WharfRat

Re: <SOLVED ITSELF> Modem connected to router drops connection

Post by WharfRat »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:53 am "Solved itself" enhances my suspicion about an issue on ISP side.
Yea, I hard reset everything to no avail and then a few hours later it just miraculously started working :roll:

Return to “Networking”