[SOLVED] CIFS vs Shared Folder in Windows Server 2012 R2

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dragonF0rce

[SOLVED] CIFS vs Shared Folder in Windows Server 2012 R2

Post by dragonF0rce »

Hello,

I tried to mount manually on my Linux shared folders from windows server 2012.

The syntaxe is right but Im stuck on the same issue error 13:

Code: Select all

#mount.cifs //ip/division /mnt/division -o username=bob@dude-uk,password=myscretpass,vers=2.1
dmesg:
Status code returned 0xc000006d STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
If I remove the option vers= then syslog claim :

No dialect specified on mount. Default has changed to a more secure dialect, SMB2.1 or later (e.g. SMB3), from CIFS (SMB1). To use the less secure SMB1 dialect to access old servers which do not support SMB3 (or SMB2.1) specify vers=1.0 on mount.

If I use option sec= then I specify this option then I got error 126

#mount.cifs //ip/division /mnt/division -o username=bob@dude-uk,password=myscretpass,vers=2.1,sec=krb5
mount error(126): Required key not available
Package Keyutils is installed.

if I tried to prompt the password:

#mount.cifs //ip/division /mnt/division -o username=bob@dude-uk
Password for bob@dude-uk@//ip/division:  
mount error(13): Permission denied
Nemo can mount the shared folders.
Do you have any idea ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: CIFS vs Shared Folder in Windows Server 2012 R2

Post by altair4 »

I'm afraid I do not have an answer to your original question but I may have an insight into this one:
Nemo can mount the shared folders.
Unless you have modified smb.conf yourself the highest negotiated smb dialect that Nemo can attain is smb1 ( NT1 in samba-speak and vers=1.0 in CIFS-speak ). mount.cifs and the samba client used in nemo are unrelated - meaning the defaults of one has no impact on the defaults of the other..
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
dragonF0rce

Post by dragonF0rce »

After read Bugzilla:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1474539
Kernel 4.13 got an issue to use mount.cifs command properly.
I must boot on 4.12 kernel - I will update my post after that
dragonF0rce

Post by dragonF0rce »

issue kernel 4.13 was a troll :twisted:
I set a new user on windows server to allow mount shared folders :lol:
I used administrator account but it doesnt works with mount.cifs command only Nemo can succeed then I create a new user with admin rights and it works with mount.cifs.
Now it works.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] CIFS vs Shared Folder in Windows Server 2012 R2

Post by altair4 »

I don't know if you will get notification of this post but I have a question. Is bob@dude-uk the actual user name or is the dude-uk part really a domain?

THe reason I ask is because on Win10 you can log into the machine with a Microsoft Account name which is in fact an email address. So if I log into Win10 with something like lucifer@hades.com then my mount command would be:

sudo mount -t cifs //win10/shared /home/altair/Win10Shared -o username=lucifer,domain=hades.com,password=PPPPPPP
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Networking”