Samba and Mint updates

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Herr Kantarell

Samba and Mint updates

Post by Herr Kantarell »

Why is samba so unreliable?

I was "banging my head against the wall" trying to get to make samba work for weeks, using cifs i could access one folder at a time but the procedure was extremely bothersome and overly complicated for something that should be automatic and have been included for years already and then after one update or boot it suddenly worked when i had given up trying to solve it, it suddenly worked and i have still no idea why, when i could access my windows shares on both the 2nd desktop and the laptop i was sure all was going to be fine, then after installing a few level 4 updates on the laptop samba stopped working again and then i checked the desktop and none of them worked anymore, so i restored the system using timeshift on both machines and now its working again but i still do not have a clear idea why.

TLDR:
  • I was unable to access my Windows samba shares for weeks and nothing i did made any difference.
  • Using cifs i could mount one folder at a time but not more and it was extremely bothersome.
  • After giving up trying it suddenly worked after a new update and reboot.
  • Then after the latest update it stopped working again, so i recovered my system using timeshift
PS: i did try to follow the guide Samba Browsing Problems Checklist but it did not solve the issue and it was the random update that made the automatic network discovery work again.

Currently working on Mint 18.3:

Code: Select all

4.13.0-39-generic #44~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Samba and Mint updates

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Herr Kantarell

Post by Herr Kantarell »

deepakdeshp wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:14 pm viewtopic.php?f=42&t=222087
You are linking me the manual method i mentioned in my post, i was asking why the automatic non method sometimes works out of nowhere where other times refuse to even display the network.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Herr Kantarell wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:07 pm I was unable to access my Windows samba shares for weeks and nothing i did made any difference.
You missed one of the most obvious and important steps: You didn't ask on the forums. NEVER spend weeks working on any problem you have with Mint. There are some absolutely brilliant people here (unfortunately I'm not one of them) that can help you with just about any problem you might have. And that is the whole purpose of the forums, so that experienced users can help out the less experienced users with any problems they might have. And they are always happy to help when they can. I probably wouldn't spend more than a few hours on a problem before asking for help on the forums. (Unless, of course, it's one of those times I get stubborn and solemnly declare that I will figure it out on my own.)
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Herr Kantarell

Post by Herr Kantarell »

jimallyn wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:17 pm You missed one of the most obvious and important steps: You didn't ask on the forums. NEVER spend weeks working on any problem you have with Mint. There are some absolutely brilliant people here (unfortunately I'm not one of them) that can help you with just about any problem you might have. And that is the whole purpose of the forums, so that experienced users can help out the less experienced users with any problems they might have. And they are always happy to help when they can. I probably wouldn't spend more than a few hours on a problem before asking for help on the forums. (Unless, of course, it's one of those times I get stubborn and solemnly declare that I will figure it out on my own.)
Thanks for the reply, ironically it was the other way around, as i did read the rules, suggestions and guide where it implied to not make new topics if the question was asked before if possible, so i was worried i was going to be treated badly for not doing my own research first, not to mention some Linux communities will just tell you to rtfm instead of actually helping, thank you for addressing my post.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Herr Kantarell wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:52 am i was worried i was going to be treated badly for not doing my own research first, not to mention some Linux communities will just tell you to rtfm instead of actually helping, thank you for addressing my post.
We don't ordinarily just tell people RTFM here. I have seen, a few times somebody tell a user they should have done their research first, but that's not common. And if it gets common, they better be nice about it, or some people will probably get warnings form moderators to treat others nice. We try to keep it pretty friendly here, and I think we do a pretty good job of it. Welcome to Linux Mint!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

in post #8 here, viewtopic.php?f=157&t=267875&p=1459877#p1459877 user altair4 commented on samba; he would seem to all very fluent and knowledgable about this

You say it is all now working; so you may well not want to change things by receiving new advice?

Return to “Networking”