Only show partial list of item when SMB share has thousands of items

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amsteel

Only show partial list of item when SMB share has thousands of items

Post by amsteel »

I am new to Mint. Tried to search but can't find any one mentioned this. I have some windows shares, which have more than 1000 files under it. Using 18.3 64bit, it can access the shares. If the folder has less than 1000 items then everything works. When the folder has more than 1000 files, "Files browser" can only show the first 400-500 files.

I can't find if there is any reload button or is it something I did not config correctly? Of if anyone has experienced this.

Any comments will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Only show partial list of item when SMB share has thousands of items

Post by BG405 »

Welcome to the Mint forums! It would help to know which version of Mint and which desktop environment you are using. If you enter inxi -Fxz in a Terminal, highlight the text and press CTRL+SHIFT+C, then in your reply, click the </> button and press CTRL+V, this should provide enough information.

NB: Using the Code tags helps to preserve formatting and makes the output easier to read. :wink:

Assuming it's Cinnamon, with the Nemo file manager, there have been a number of reports of it being slow when accessing large directories, but haven't seen any reporting what you are experiencing.

Does the same thing happen in List view? Is it the same if it's a local directory (on the Mint machine) with >1000 files?

I do not have any Windows shares, as such, but I do have an embedded Linux-based NAS which is accessed as a "Windows share" via Samba and just checked one of the photo backup directories, containing 1,716 items. No issues displaying all of them, as thumbnails, on Mint 17.3 Cinnamon. I'm happy to test a Live distro of the version you have, in fact it's worth checking whether this happens in the Live Session (boot from USB or DVD).

Cheers
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
amsteel

Post by amsteel »

sorry for the delay, I was working on another server. Yes it is 18.3 Cinnamon, the default file manager - I guess it is Nemo.

Here are the updates:

1. Both installed version and live CD have issue with shares on Windows 2012 R2.
2. Both installed version and live CD work fine with shares on Windows 2016.

The view mode has no impact on the results.

I can't find any Linux share with more than 1000 items to test.

Now I have no clue if it is just Linux mint issue or Windows Issue. I will try to get a Ubuntu or CentOS in the next coupld days to test.
amsteel

Post by amsteel »

Tested with Ubuntu and Kubuntu 1604, no issue at all.

It seems that only Mint 18.03 has some issue with SMB share on windows 2012 R2.

Return to “Networking”