Trying to set static ip address

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TerryHaimann

Trying to set static ip address

Post by TerryHaimann »

I am trying to set up a static ip address on my network. And it did kind of work, but locked out my email which is Evolution, the web worked afterwards. This is on a LinuxMint 18.3 box. I need it to be static because it will be my samba server.

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto enp6s0
#iface enp6s0 inet static
#address 192.168.0.120
#netmask 255.255.255.0
#gateway 192.168.0.1
#dns-nameservers 208.67.222.222
#dns-nameservers 208.67.220.220
#dns-search itzgeek.local

I took this file and commented out the fourth line and uncommented the lines below that. So I translatesdtranslatesid a little research. Going back to previous state my settings are:

IP Address: 192.168.0.14
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

My Internet Provider is Mediacom and I think the router updates the gateway and dns server addresses to the local computer. I tried setting the dns-nameservers to 192.168.0.1, but that did not work. Any suggestions?

Evolution is set to Defer to Desktop Settings

Thanks in advance, Terry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Trying to set static ip address

Post by tovian »

Try setting your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (Google public DNS). Then test again.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
WiltshireJon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WiltshireJon »

I found the easiest way to do this was to let the router award whatever IP address it wanted, then tell the router to make this a static IP address for that computer. Worked across three linux and three windows machines which will now all talk to each other.
TerryHaimann

Post by TerryHaimann »

No, does not work.

Return to “Networking”