Avhi-browse and Itunes sevices <SOLVED>

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mildly_odd
Level 2
Level 2

Avhi-browse and Itunes sevices <SOLVED>

Post by Mildly_odd »

Hi
I'm a newbie, I recently discovered the avahi-browse command and am wondering what it means. Specifically I ran avahi-browse -a on my linux mint machine on a domestic network and amongst the entries were these:
+ wlp2s0 IPv4 Canon MG5300 series _canon-bjnp1._tcp local
+ wlp2s0 IPv4 Canon MG5300 series UNIX Printer local
+ wlp2s0 IPv4 Canon MG5300 series _scanner._tcp local
+ wlp2s0 IPv4 WDMyCloud Apple TimeMachine local
+ wlp2s0 IPv4 WDMyCloud Apple File Sharing local
+ wlp2s0 IPv4 WDMyCloud _wd-2go._tcp local
+ wlp2s0 IPv4 WDMyCloud iTunes Audio Access local
+ wlp2s0 IPv4 Canon MG5300 series Web Site local
+ wlp2s0 IPv4 WDMyCloud Web Site local

The Canon ones relate to a network printer, the WDMyCloud is a NAS. These are the only things connected to the network other than the linux machine. I was wondering what the itunes/Apple services are as there is no Apple/Itunes products on the network
1 - are they processes that are running on the linux machine or the NAS is running itself (i.e. its not just a hard disk its effectively an independent computer running some itunes software)?
2 - could they represent a threat to the linux machine (e.g. something malicious given an innocent name or genuine corporate spyware)?

How do I stop the Itunes processes?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Avhi-browse and Itunes sevices

Post by altair4 »

All of those WDMyCloud references are from your NAS. It is apparently configured to "register" or "announce" those services to the rest of the local lan via mDNS ( avahi / bonjour ).

They are not services or processes originating from or controllable by your Linux system.

If you are concerned about the origin of these "registrations" you could use another avahi command to find it's ip address to verify that it is your NAS:

Code: Select all

avahi-resolve --name -4 WDMyCloud.local
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Mildly_odd
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Avhi-browse and Itunes sevices

Post by Mildly_odd »

Hi, many thanks, that was very helpful
Mildly_odd
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Avhi-browse and Itunes sevices <SOLVED>

Post by Mildly_odd »

Just catching up and marking things as solved.

Return to “Networking”