Linux Mint Cinn. 18 and Windows 10 [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
happyamos

Linux Mint Cinn. 18 and Windows 10 [SOLVED]

Post by happyamos »

Windows 10 Home currently hosts our printer, a Brother HL-2140. I have turned on printer sharing on Windows, and even setup a folder called "ShareForLinux" for testing purposes. Through Windows network browser I can see the shares I created. Likewise, I can also see the shares I created on my Linux Mint machine. However, when I try to browse the Windows machine from my Mint machine I run into issues. The Windows machine appears in the WORKGROUP, but when I click on it I get the message "Unable to Mount Location: Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection timed out". I also can't add the Windows printer to this machine. So I started working through the checklist on here, viewtopic.php?f=42&t=88146&start=0, and here is where I am so far:

Code: Select all

sudo service smbd status
● smbd.service - LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS daemon (smbd)
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/smbd; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2018-06-10 19:30:44 EDT; 1h 20min ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 1359 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/smbd start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   CGroup: /system.slice/smbd.service
           ├─1376 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
           ├─1380 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
           ├─1398 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
           ├─3296 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
           ├─3307 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
           ├─3311 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
           ├─3349 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
           ├─4304 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
           └─4305 /usr/sbin/smbd -D

Jun 10 20:43:15 satellite smbd[4577]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Jun 10 20:46:57 satellite smbd[4711]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Jun 10 20:46:57 satellite smbd[4712]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Jun 10 20:47:00 satellite smbd[4713]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Jun 10 20:47:14 satellite smbd[4714]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Jun 10 20:47:14 satellite smbd[4715]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Jun 10 20:47:15 satellite smbd[4720]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody

andrew@satellite ~ $ sudo service nmbd status
● nmbd.service - LSB: start Samba NetBIOS nameserver (nmbd)
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/nmbd; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2018-06-10 19:30:43 EDT; 1h 20min ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 1152 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/nmbd start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   CGroup: /system.slice/nmbd.service
           └─1358 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D

Jun 10 19:30:30 satellite systemd[1]: Starting LSB: start Samba NetBIOS nameserver (nmbd)...
Jun 10 19:30:43 satellite nmbd[1152]:  * Starting NetBIOS name server nmbd
Jun 10 19:30:43 satellite nmbd[1152]:    ...done.
Jun 10 19:30:43 satellite systemd[1]: Started LSB: start Samba NetBIOS nameserver (nmbd).

andrew@satellite ~ $ hostname
satellite [under 15 characters :) ]
One of the steps said to edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and add/change the order of the line?
name resolve order = lmhosts wins host bcast
But this line was not in my smb.conf file at all. I went through it with several times, and even used the search function in Vim just to be sure, but it's not there, so I added it. But still no joy.

Firewalls on Mint are disabled.

andrew@satellite ~ $ sudo nmap -sS -sU -T4 192.168.1.11

Starting Nmap 7.01 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2018-06-10 20:56 EDT
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.11
Host is up (0.0051s latency).
Not shown: 999 open|filtered ports, 997 filtered ports
PORT    STATE SERVICE
135/tcp open  msrpc
139/tcp open  netbios-ssn
445/tcp open  microsoft-ds
137/udp open  netbios-ns
MAC Address: D4:BE:D9:FC:EE:69 (Dell)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 18.45 seconds
Mine is different than the checklist one. First off, mine has port 135 open, and is missing port 138. I don't know what this means.

I appreciate any assistance!

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint Cinn. 18 and Windows 10

Post by altair4 »

I suspect you have the opposite problem that Mint19 has.

Try the following experiment:

** Install smbclient ( it may already be there but I just don't remember with Mint ):

sudo apt install smbclient
** Find the ip address of your Win10 machine. On Win10 it's the ipconfig command.

** Open a terminal in Mint and run this command substituting the real ip address:
smbclient -L 192.168.0.100

Do you get this error message:
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET
If you do it's because your Win10 machine disabled SMB1 on the server side.

Back in Mint edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and add the following line under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line:
client max protocol = SMB3

Now access the Win10 machine this way from a terminal:

nemo smb://192.168.0.100
Do you see the Win10 share?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
happyamos

Post by happyamos »

After launching nemo from the command, specifying the ip, the file manager opened up and I can see the shares on the Windows 10 machine, and access them after entering in my Win10 username and password (which I thought I disabled the password requirement).

andrew@satellite ~ $ smbclient -L 192.168.1.11
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
Enter andrew's password: 

Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
	BROTHER         Printer   Brother HL-2140 series
	C$              Disk      Default share
	IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
	print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
	ShareForLinux   Disk      
	Users           Disk      
Connection to 192.168.1.11 failed (Error NT_STATUS_RESOURCE_NAME_NOT_FOUND)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
andrew@satellite ~ $ nemo smb://192.168.1.11
andrew@satellite ~ $ 
Browsing using Network in Nemo, without specifying the ip, it can't find the server, though. Also, shouldn't the share I created on this Linux machine be showing up in nemo under the Network bookmark as well? I remember it did once, but then it never did again.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

What is missing from your last post is if you added the client max protocol = SMB3 line to smb.conf.

If you did that will disable netbios name discovery or browsing. That is where we are with Mint19 which sets the max to SMB3 by default.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
happyamos

Post by happyamos »

My bad! Yes, I added that line.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Yep. When you set that parameter to SMB3 browsing goes away.

You can still connect to the Win10 machine by ip address. You should be able to connect to it by name but this whole netbios thing was deprecated 19 years ago by Microsoft so it works as best as it can.

Not familiar with Win10 Home but in Win10 Pro you can also connect to it using mDNS. See the following for details:
Win10, Linux, mDNS, and Samba File Sharing

Return to “Networking”