PIA or AirVPN? Which is Better?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SueS
Level 2
Level 2

PIA or AirVPN? Which is Better?

Post by SueS »

Hello,

I'm running Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 Sylvia (64-bit). I have an Asus RT-N66U router. I'm trying to decide on a VPN provider. I see that PIA appears to already be more or less set up. But I discovered AirVPN when looking for VPN information on these forums.

In your opinion, which is better? There are appealing aspects to each. Which is easier to set up? Which is more secure? What are the pros/cons of each?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

SS
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: PIA or AirVPN? Which is Better?

Post by jimallyn »

I don't know anything about AirVPN. But I do know that PIA does not keep any records of websites you visit, and that has been confirmed: their records were subpoenaed, and they produced nothing. Also, PIA contributes to LInux Mint. I've been using PIA for over a year. The only trouble I have had is that some websites are blocked, and I have to turn PIA off momentarily to visit them. They have a button to click to report blocked websites. I don't know whether other VPNs have this problem too, or not. Probably.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Hi SueS,

I use both PIA and AirVPN, each of these providers has a forum so I would suggest you scan them over.

As far as which is easier, that's a tough one. as far as there gui's are concerned, I think that for setting up and letting it run without any user intervention, PIA would be the winner, you don't need to enter a password on start, it can be setup to auto start and basically stays out of your way. AirVPN requires a password be entered every start. AirVPN's eddie gui is much more configurable, allows vpn over ssl or ssh or tor, allows the use of third party vpns (so you could run PIA with AirVPN's gui) and much more (open source, etc). Of course this means it can be more complicated to set up but the defaults work good.

If you want to use Network Manager and download the .ovpn files' I'd call it a tie.

As far as which one I trust, AirVPN wins, it's developed and run by activists and is under the privacy protection of the EU while PIA is in a five-eyes country. Its (AirVPN) servers run on bare metal which many other services aren't and other reasons, did I mention the forums?

Either one is a good purchase, I use AirVPN on my main desktop but use PIA one my tablet and on my Wife's laptop.

Cheers
SueS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SueS »

Hello greerd and jimallyn, Thanks to you both for your quick and thoughtful replies. I may just try each of them out and then decide accordingly. greerd, thanks for suggesting that I peruse the Forum for each to get a sense of ease of installation and use. I'll do that too.

Return to “Networking”