VPN Freezes Nemo

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
swormuth

VPN Freezes Nemo

Post by swormuth »

Hello all,

I use Private Internet Access and not only does it drop connections on multiple Mint machines when under load, but it immediately freezes Nemo. I can't open a folder, make a file on the desktop, or click the taskbar. It does this immediately upon connection, and with all machines. When I disconnect the VPN, the desktop comes back to life.

It was doing this with the official PIA application, so I tried the one in the repo's, with the same result.

I need help here. It makes the VPN unusable on every machine. Any ideas where to start figuring out why the network would freeze the file manager? And why under load (i.e.; download), the VPN connection will drop and I have to disconnect/reconnect to resume?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: VPN Freezes Nemo

Post by jimallyn »

I would contact PIA support regarding the dropped connections. No idea why it would freeze Nemo, but perhaps somebody will have an idea.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
swormuth

Post by swormuth »

Yeah, I'm going back and forth with PIA right now too.

The Nemo thing is really strange. If it offers a clue, I connect to shared folders on a NAS, and it seems to me the problem of freezing started right after I modified my network and changed the IP of the NAS machine. I mount the shares by IP address using FSTAB on boot, and I recall having a freeze right after changing that, but assumed it was just some wierd quirk. I couldn't access the NAS shares until I disabled the VPN. I updated the share IP's in FSTAB also in case someone is going to ask. LOL. I just can't figure why shutting off the VPN would affect a local IP share...

The NAS is FreeNAS running BSD. Latest stable version.
danneauxs

Post by danneauxs »

Not sure about the nemo problem but I've been running PIA for over 3 years on my mint pc. Recently I broke my mint 17 install and did a fresh install with 18.3 Mate, also addes a second pc with 18.3. Have been having trouble with PIA ever since. I've upgraded and have been back and forth with support to no avail. Keeps dropping vpn connection. PIA support said it was because I had my router set up to use 10.x.x.x gateway which is interfering with the vpn wich uses that gateway. Not anywhere on my router is that set. The only 10.x.x.x showing up is the tun0 which IS the PIA VPN. I just paid my yearly service fee - not looking forward to paying for another vpn.

tThese are the instructions they gave me after I sent them screen shots of my connection information.
Changing those ports can resolve this issue. Please use the following instructions to change the ports in our app:
1. Disconnect the VPN
2. Open the Settings window and click on Advanced to open the advanced options
3. Select a different `Connection type` and `Remote port` combination in the menus. Note that selecting `udp` or `tcp` changes the options on the `Remote port` menu.
4. Click save and try to connect again to the VPN.
5. Repeat the above steps as needed until you find a combination that works for you.

maybe this will help with your connection drop issues. It did nothing for me but eat up a week of my time changing setting every day when I got home to find the vpn disconnected.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just checked and my VPN is up and running: NordVPN

and I looked at my Win7 PC's shared folders....
went okay for me.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Networking”