networking the linux way Solved

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antcj
Level 3
Level 3

networking the linux way Solved

Post by antcj »

This post is probably for Altair4. Hope you are around
I have used networking “the Linux way” given by Altair4 for a few years, on mint 17 mate.
I also used the creds file method to mount those shares. (also Altair4 suggestion)

My network has an old nas on it as well as 3 mint pc.
I have successfully shared folders between the 3 pc and gained access to the nas no issues.

Regards the mounting, I did notice on mint 17 that even tho I had set the incorrect password for the nas (in the creds file) other PC’s shared folders still mounted at boot.

I now have mint 19 (clean install) on all pc, sharing via caja share, and doing shares via “Linux way”.
Using the creds file again for mounts
I almost forgot to mention that i created a script with all the mounts i wanted, and have a start up entry pointing at it.
This works well

So my problems.
I can only mount those shares if I have guest ticked in caja.
If its unticked I get told that the file exists but it doesn’t get mounted.
I cant even gain direct access to those shares via network browse without the guest ticked.
Is this normal? Have I missed something?
User name and password correct in creds file

I tried the creds file with incorrect password , (guest ticked) and again all shares mount no issue including nas.

Last question, why is networking such an issue with Linux.?

When I first looked at Linux in 2011 I nearly walked away because of that.
Thankfully I didnt. I now have a better understanding of what to do to get shares going but personally im surprised its not all set up from the start.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: networking the linux way

Post by altair4 »

I really couldn't follow all that.
I now have mint 19 (clean install) on all pc, sharing via caja share, and doing shares via “Linux way”.
I think the only reference to "the Linux Way" I have made is this post: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=185410#p960482

If all of your machines are running Mint 19 ( and you do know that Mint19 is still in Beta right? ) it registers it's mDNS presence automatically thanks to a change Ubuntu made so adding that file is no longer required.
Using the creds file again for mounts
I don't know if you are taking about a CIFS mount with a creds file or a gvfs-mount mount with a creds file.

If it's a CIFS mount and the nas is old you will need to add a smb dialect version option to dumb it down so that it can connect. If it's a gvfs-mount well ... gvfs-mount no longer exists. It's now a gio mount as in: gio mount smb://server/share. I don;t know if Mint has the old gvfs-mount installed. It is not in Ubuntu / Xubuntu 18.04.
I can only mount those shares if I have guest ticked in caja.
To me it sounds like you didn't add your Mint user name to the samba password database: sudo smbpasswd -a antcj

I haven't done any investigation of Mint19 MATE yet since it hasn't been released and because historically Samba has needed the most work in MATE. That may no longer be the case in Mint19 - I just don't know yet.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
antcj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by antcj »

Big thank you for your input. Really priceless.

Yes , you are correct re the linux way post link.
and correct again re gvfs mount. I changed all entries to gio
(gvfs-mount not installed in mint mate)

I didnt know about the mdns.
So should the "linux way" file be left in place or removed?

I didnt realise that i had to add the username to samba db
Yes im aware 19 is beta. took a chance on it .

apologies for the previous ramble.
what i was trying to do was tighten security on my shares as i had to have them ticked for guest access to get into them.
In the process i was curious as to various outcomes i was getting with the creds file

essentially it looks like i need the password in samba to be set.
Thank you
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I didnt know about the mdns.
So should the "linux way" file be left in place or removed?
If all of your machines are running Ubuntu 17.10, Ubuntu 18.04, or Mint 19 you do not need to add the avahi samba.service file for other Linux or macOS machines to "see" your machine. If you have any machines earlier than that the avahi file is still required.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
antcj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by antcj »

Thank you yes the smb password was the issue.
I did have other questions in relation to the guest access but of no importance.
Ill mark this as solved then

Return to “Networking”