what happened to Desktop Sharing in Mint 19 (Tara)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mk010101

what happened to Desktop Sharing in Mint 19 (Tara)

Post by mk010101 »

I need to remote into my MintBox and have just installed Mint 19. When I go to setup Desktop Sharing, it is not there anymore! What happened and better yet, how do I install it?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mk010101

Re: what happened to Desktop Sharing in Mint 19 (Tara)

Post by mk010101 »

tons of searching and trying out the options to load, run vino, nothing worked. However, the only roundabout way I could figure this out (and it worked!) is via these instructions:

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2334
tosagartambe

Post by tosagartambe »

Hi,

I tried vino but performance is not good.

you can try installing x11 vnc which works great for me.

https://blog.sagartambe.com/index.php/2 ... e-package/
dr_fred

Post by dr_fred »

Or, alternatively, a more advanced solution would be to give this one a shot:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/X2Go
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

mk010101 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:57 pm What happened and better yet, how do I install it?
Gnome made the current vino version (the default desktop sharing server in 18.x) very hard to set-up outside of Gnome Shell so it was removed during the Mint 19 beta and not replaced.

It is possible to get vino up and running if you really want to (I prefer x11vnc also) - see the tail end of this thread - viewtopic.php?f=90&t=272356
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

tosagartambe wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:35 am Hi,

Any reason not to use the x11vnc that is in the Mint 19 distro?
Neil Darlow

Post by Neil Darlow »

Running vino on Linux Mint 19 is actually easy. Install the package vino then do the following.

To start desktop sharing:

Code: Select all

systemctl --user start vino-server
To stop desktop sharing:

systemctl --user stop vino-server
Settings for vino can be modified using dconf-editor under the following entry:

/org/gnome/desktop/remote-access/
This will start vino-server listening on port 5900 by default with local acceptance of the connection required. You will need to open this port in firewall settings to permit access by remote systems. I prefer to manually start vino-server when needed rather than make it a startup action.

Regards,
Neil
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Neil Darlow wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:29 pm Settings for vino can be modified using dconf-editor under the following entry:

/org/gnome/desktop/remote-access/
The only tricky bit is setting an access password in dconf-editor. The password is stored as a hash. To generate the hash you need to run echo -n 'password' | base64 in a terminal replacing password with your password of choice. The output of this command is the string you put into the password key in dconf-editor.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Neil Darlow

Post by Neil Darlow »

That is true. I don't understand why vino has been built without gnome-keyring support. It would be convenient to use that instead of having to use dconf-editor to set the password.
treii28

Post by treii28 »

tosagartambe wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:35 am Hi,

x11vnc has a known bug which causes it to crash often when changing window decorations. It is orphaned and there is no plan of addressing this bug.
kdmcm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kdmcm »

EdB wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 am Any reason not to use the x11vnc that is in the Mint 19 distro?
For the life of me, I couldn't get it to start as a service at boot time. I think its because I had Mint running on a PC without a monitor. I gave up on it and am still looking for a solution to allow me to attach to Mint desktop remotely.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

kdmcm wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:57 pm
EdB wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 am Any reason not to use the x11vnc that is in the Mint 19 distro?
For the life of me, I couldn't get it to start as a service at boot time. I think its because I had Mint running on a PC without a monitor. I gave up on it and am still looking for a solution to allow me to attach to Mint desktop remotely.
Your replying on a 2018 post, I use https://www.nomachine.com/download works great.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Networking”