Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 Network Manager - OpenVPN configuration Changed from 18.3 ?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
farrina

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 Network Manager - OpenVPN configuration Changed from 18.3 ?

Post by farrina »

Regrettably, as will rapidly become apparent, I am not (yet) a sophisticated user of Linux ...

I have been happily using Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 x64 and with a view to moving to the newly released 19 I created an entirely separate test installation of Cinnamon 19 x64. Whilst test progress has been good I have run into a problem with using OpenVPN client connections.

I use OpenVPN to connect to a commercial VPN provider and have previously using 18.3 successfully followed configuration instructions here https://www.ivpn.net/setup/gnu-linux-netman.html to create OpenVPN connections within Network Manager

This has worked seamlessly but when attempting the same within 19, whilst VPN connections are created and report as connected, on launching my browser(s) nothing further happens. The status window at the bottom of the browser window reports waiting for <site navigated to> which infers that DNS resolution has occurred (otherwise I would expect the browser status window to say it to say looking up <site navigated to>.

The Network Manager GUI's appear to have changed between 18.3 and 19. One thing I did note was that 19 Network Manager no longer lists the internal VPN providers DNS server IP associated with the OpenVPN connection

I have approached my VPN provider for help, but in responding they are assuming I am using the command line to initiate VPN connections and its all becoming rather complicated (for me at least!)

As 18.3 configuration worked fine using Network Manager I was wondering there might be a straightforward solution like a previous package is no longer slipstreamed into 19 and whether this can be installed to easily overcome my issue ?

Brief system configuration shown below - happy to provide more upon request.

Cheers

###########################################################################

System: Host: GHOST19 Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.7 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1) Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

###########################################################################
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”