Private Internet Access

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rocket5375

Private Internet Access

Post by rocket5375 »

Hi
I hope someone can help me. I'm using PIA in an OpenVPN configuration in Mint 19, and it seems to be working fine. However, I've always wanted to use the PIA client app because of the kill switch function. I have tried numerous times to install the app, but it has always failed, both in MInt 19 and previously in 18.x. PIA themselves were of little help. I've tried to set up ufw to perform the same function, but with no success- it seems absurdly complicated.
Here is the print out from my latest attempt at installing PIA:

robin@Linux-Computer ~/Downloads $ ./pia-v81-installer-linux.sh
Installing files...
Installing dependencies...
Running: sudo apt-get install -y libxss1 libappindicator1 libappindicator3-1 gconf2 net-tools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libappindicator3-1 is already the newest version (12.10.1+18.04.20180322.1-0ubuntu1).
libxss1 is already the newest version (1:1.2.2-1).
net-tools is already the newest version (1.60+git20161116.90da8a0-1ubuntu1).
gconf2 is already the newest version (3.2.6-4ubuntu1).
libappindicator1 is already the newest version (12.10.1+18.04.20180322.1-0ubuntu1).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
liblinear3 liblua5.3-0 nmap
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
./installer_linux/installer.rb:191:in `binwrite': Permission denied @ rb_sysopen - /home/robin/.local/share/applications/pia_manager.desktop (Errno::EACCES)
from ./installer_linux/installer.rb:191:in `install'
from ./installer_linux/installer.rb:230:in `<main>'
robin@L
My Home folder is not encrypted (as far as I am aware!). Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Private Internet Access

Post by ugly »

I have the PIA client installed. I've never had a problem installing it. However, with versions v77 and above the client doesn't work for me. It installs successfully, but cannot connect to any of the servers.

If it helps, for reference here is what I get when I install the client:

Code: Select all

rick@rickpc:/mnt/Smallstorage/MintBackup/Installers$ ./pia-v81-installer-linux.sh
Installing files...
[sudo] password for rick: 
Installing dependencies...
Running: sudo apt-get install -y libxss1 libappindicator1 libappindicator3-1 gconf2 net-tools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
libappindicator3-1 is already the newest version (12.10.1+18.04.20180322.1-0ubuntu1).
libxss1 is already the newest version (1:1.2.2-1).
net-tools is already the newest version (1.60+git20161116.90da8a0-1ubuntu1).
gconf2 is already the newest version (3.2.6-4ubuntu1).
libappindicator1 is already the newest version (12.10.1+18.04.20180322.1-0ubuntu1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Installation complete!
I noticed yours didn't ask for a password. Did you leave that part out, or is it not asking?

I suppose if you want to try the client for a test you can always run LM19 live from a USB and test it out.
rocket5375

Re: Private Internet Access

Post by rocket5375 »

Many thanks for the reply, Ugly.
My password was never asked for during the installation. What you see in the print out is as far as I ever get in the installation process- it looks like the problem is something to do with permissions. I'll follow your suggestion of trying to install it onto a live USB, and let you know how I get on.

Regards
rocket5375

Re: Private Internet Access <SOLVED>

Post by rocket5375 »

Ok.
I was able to install the PIA client on an LM19 live USB without issue, so I decided to reinstall the OS and try once more. Still no problems, so it looks like there was some sort of corruption within the OS.
Thanks again for your helpful suggestion.

Regards

Return to “Networking”